The Jethro Tull Christmas Album [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Jethro Tull Christmas Album

BarryL
12-08-2003, 11:33 AM
This is probably the best JT album in 25 years. There are some nice proggy/jazzy instrumentals of Christmas classics like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Greensleeved, and We Five Kings, but for the most part, there is great JT songwriting around Christmas themes, including consumption of alcohol, lost love, birthday cards, snowy days, etc. There are a few remakes of JT classics, like A Christmas Song, Ring Out Solstice Bells, Weathercock and Bouree.

The album flows well, with great playing and understated singing. This one sounds like it was done about the time of Heavy Horses or Songs From The Woods.

If you want a great Christmas prog album, and you like Tull, this is a must have. It's a great Jethro Tull album, Christmas theme or not.

Song highlights include Last Man At The Party and First Snow On Brooklyn.

This gets a 10/10 as a Christmas album, and an 8/10 as a Jethro Tull album. For a 10/10 JT album, edit out the traditional Christmas instrumentals.

Dave_G
12-08-2003, 12:07 PM
I agree, BarryL.

This is an excellent Tull album.

To me it's more regular Tull as opposed to Christmas Tull music, but the obvious Christmas ones are excellent.

I'd like to hear them record the "classic" christmas songs.

A great cd indeed. Highly recommended.

Dave

ForeverAutumn
12-08-2003, 01:08 PM
This is probably the best JT album in 25 years. There are some nice proggy/jazzy instrumentals of Christmas classics like.... We Five Kings

I thought that there were only three kings. :confused: