How are Maxent Plasma TV's?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How are Maxent Plasma TV's??

lowmortman
09-05-2004, 01:50 AM
I saw a 42" at BB. I know it's only ED vs. HD, but is the picture good? I don't have HD service at all. What are the other major diffs btwn ED/HD? WIll it look like cra p if i hook it up to an hd receiver? Reliable branf at $1999???pls. help i'm moviong and need advice. thx

sy_lu
09-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Don't be mislead by the "low price" by the TV makers and retailers. They only has a native resolution of 480P. Not the 720P or 1080i that are required for HDTV. 480P is only DVD resolution. Even the unit may accept 720P or 1080i signals, it down samples to 480P. You will not get a true HD picture even you hook up a HD tuner to it. In addition, because the whole thing is created with low cost in mind, they generally also cut corners on other image quality issues such as contrast and color. The pixels size is also big enough that unless you watch it from a distance, you will likely to see the pixels and that can be a big distraction too.

As far as brand concern, a lot of those low cost brands are OEMs. They don't makes thems just like most of the PCs are made make a few companies. You probably should not conut on too much on companies like these.

woodman
09-06-2004, 12:35 PM
I saw a 42" at BB. I know it's only ED vs. HD, but is the picture good? I don't have HD service at all. What are the other major diffs btwn ED/HD? WIll it look like cra p if i hook it up to an hd receiver? Reliable branf at $1999???pls. help i'm moviong and need advice. thx

Here are two bits of advice for you ...

1. If you're looking to get value for your money, you won't get it with any plasma display - regardless of brand name or price. They are close to the bottom of the barrel in terms of "bang for the buck".

2. When shopping for any product (especially electronics) - avoid any brand name that neither you or anyone else has ever heard of ... period. It just doesn't make any sense at all to gamble on an unknown company, when there are so many viable alternatives in the marketplace to choose from.

Hope this helps you