JBL center channel speaker? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JBL center channel speaker?

toenail
09-04-2004, 04:17 AM
So now that I have a pair of the HLS610's I've heard from a few sources that finding a center that is remotely timbre matched can be a bit of a pain. I went to the JBL website and searched for the matching center to the 610's and it is listed only as "center", no model #. Makes it a little tough to find on the open market. Anyone know of a better reference name for the center that would match these bookshelves?

axelsrd
09-04-2004, 06:55 AM
I had the Studio SeriesII speakers and the center for that series was just the S Center. The HSTCenter IS the center channel you want.

axelsrd
09-04-2004, 06:56 AM
I mean HLSCENTER

toenail
09-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks. I actually found that out shortly after I posted my question while surfing around. Not much in the way of HLS center's floating around out there. I may just buy another set of the HLS610's and stand one vertically under the TV as the center, save the other one as a spare.

This Guy
09-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah that would actually work better than getting the real center channel.

Dual-500
09-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Thanks. I actually found that out shortly after I posted my question while surfing around. Not much in the way of HLS center's floating around out there. I may just buy another set of the HLS610's and stand one vertically under the TV as the center, save the other one as a spare.

If you're going that route - why not use them both for the center?

toenail
09-06-2004, 06:55 AM
To show the amplifier 8ohms. I havn't ruled wiring in series for 16 ohm and will probably experiment.

Isn't there an issue with accuracy/sound quality when you place multiple identical drivers producing the same frequencies in such close proximity to each other? Some of the reading I've done suggests this.

Dual-500
09-06-2004, 09:57 AM
To show the amplifier 8ohms. I havn't ruled wiring in series for 16 ohm and will probably experiment.

Isn't there an issue with accuracy/sound quality when you place multiple identical drivers producing the same frequencies in such close proximity to each other? Some of the reading I've done suggests this.

Yes, do experiment and see which configuration YOU like best.

I've seen all kinds of discussions (more like dabates and flame wars) on multiple drivers and such and am not going there.

There are pro & con and tradeoffs with any and every design solution.

Which are the most important is many times best served by trial.

One quick reference for testing with both for center use. Driver orientation - when stacking multiple drivers in the verticle plane, horizontal dispersion is increased and vertical dispersion is conversly decreased. This is generally a desireable condition.

Example - a single 12" driver, at 1khz will radiate a free-field pattern of approx 100 degrees equal in all directons relative to the plane the driver is on. Mounting 2 x 12" drivers in the vertical orientation (one over the other) will change the pattern at 1khz to ~140 degrees horizontal and ~50-60 degrees vertical.

There are many other factors that come into play such as promimity of the drivers to one another and such.

I don't want to turn your thread into an engineering debate.

So, just try with one and try with both. When trying with both, experiment with orientation. You man like them side by side, stacked vertically or maybe side by side and splayed out.

Rather than talk about how it will sound - just do some testing.

One thing for sure - the center channel plays a very important role in the HT expereince.

toenail
09-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Its funny, I believe I most recently read about the multiple driver problem in The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and if you check the DIY sites there are tons of people building line arrays. Many of these same people claim to be purists yet the sound quality seems fine by them.

I know it does typically come down to trial and error, but I like to educate myself in advance so that I can minimize time spent finding the right solution. An accurate center channel is indeed a must for enjoyable home theater.

Also, I long ago gave up trying to enjoy what I thought I should enjoy based on the opinions of others, and started taking care of number one. Makes for a better experience in life and audio.