speakers. My HT room is 10'x15'. Thanks

my option is:
Yamaha RX-V1300
Sony STR DE875

Mini Monitor
CC-370
PDR-10
Atoms
Out of your two options I would choose the Yammy 1300. I am not pro Yamaha but Sony has been known to inflate their performance numbers. I don't know if there are anymore 1300's but if there is and the price is way better then the new Yammy 1400 then get it. Keep in mind that the 1300 has a fixed crossover point of 90hz which may or may not be a problem now or in the future. The 1400 has more crossover points and an auto setup which may come in handy. I have heard that receivers with auto setup may get it wrong so remember that your own sound pressure meter is the best way to calibrate your system. Denon competition would be the 2805 so check that one out as well. Denon has lower models aswell which may suffice, the 1905 and the 1705. also check out Onkyo.

stan2
09-03-2004, 06:39 PM
generally, yamaha, denon, marantz, onkyo and a couple others maybe get best comments here and elsewhere... i've owned the sony strd series. crapped out after a yr. and i've seen the inside compared to onkyo. puny amps in sony claimed to be more powerful than lower output but far beefier onkyo amps. and the heat disapation (sp?) fins for sony looked like they were made from beer can gage metal, vs far heavier duty onkyo counterparts. that doesn't say much about sonics, but it says a lot about build quality. if you go sony, go with the ES line.

Hi,

I plan to buy a SONY STR-DE995 to go with my paradigm
speakers. My HT room is 10'x15'. Thanks

my option is:
Yamaha RX-V1300
Sony STR DE875

Mini Monitor
CC-370
PDR-10
Atoms

N. Abstentia
09-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Sony is definitely at the top of my 'do not buy' list, I can't stand them.

I agree with cam, look at Denon or Onkyo.

Woochifer
09-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Sony's DE series receivers have been wildly inconsistent with their reliability. Some of them have been fine, others have had major problems (mostly with the power supplies). More recently, on other boards I've been reading various posts about reliability problems with their current S-Master Digital Drive ES receivers. The model that you mentioned is not one of those models, but the thing about Sony is when their products have reliability problems, they tend to be VERY problematic. Since the model that you noted is one of last year's receivers, you should be able to pick up on any reliability issues with that model by looking at the reviews on this site. If people have had specific issues with a particular model, they will definitely vent it out on the review site.

jamison162
09-03-2004, 07:54 PM
One of the best deals going right now is the Denon AVR-1804. Check out the reviews!! You can pick one up at Sound Advice (www.tweeter.com) on sale for $348.00. They are an aouthorized Denon dealer. I believe the 1804 is a recently discontinued model.

chimera128
09-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I would also stay away from the ES line of Sony products. I owned the V333ES and had it serviced 3 times for it's protection circuit. The third time I ended selling it to a friend (it still had 3 years of warranty left and strangely enough hasn't had a problem since I sold it =/) and decided to purchase another Sony ES producted the 3000ES. I don't usually give up on a company the first time and was willing to give Sony another chance. I liked the sound of the V333ES when it worked. Well anyhow the 3000ES sucked (hiss at all volumes including NONE, incapable of manufacturers stated power output, etc) so I took it back and traded it in for a Denon AVR-3803. I haven't had experience with owning any other receivers but so far I have been happy with my Denon. I have a brother-in-law who owns a Marantz receiver (i'm not sure of the model number) and it sounds good with his B&W speaker setup. I think www.accessories4less.com sells refurbed units from marantz. Good luck and do yourself a favor and stay away from Sony.

equate
09-03-2004, 09:26 PM
thanks guys for all your comments. I went and bought HK AVR-330. there were so many good on this product. What do you guys think?

cam
09-03-2004, 09:32 PM
thanks guys for all your comments. I went and bought HK AVR-330. there were so many good on this product. What do you guys think?
Get lost, just kidding. You bought a fine product. As far as I'm concerned you bought one of the BIG 4. In no particular order: HK,Onkyo,Yammy, or Denon. Enjoy.

equate
09-04-2004, 12:06 PM
well thanks. I was going to buy the onkyo until the sale guy from Fry's the electronic store convinced me buy the HK. He said it cost a little bit more but it worth it.