Potc Dvd [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Potc Dvd

John Beresford
12-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Got the Pirates of the Carribean DVD early for "the holiday of lights" this year from the girlfriend, and I love it. I saw the film in theaters, but being a big fan of the Disney ride it's based on, the DVD was made all that much better. A beautiful Collector's Edition outer box holds the two disc DVD inner box (just like the new Scarface Anniversary 2-disc release), and the presentation is gorgeous in terms of the packaging. The film is widescreen with no full option to watch on 27" sets such as mine, but it does come with BOTH a DD 5.1 and 5.1 DTS soundtrack. I have not watched it through my system yet in DTS 5.1, only on my GF's 27" Mitsubishi screen, and the presentation video looks real, real clean. Sometimes the image looks so-so, and other times, when you see the waters of the Carribean with the palm trees and all, the DVD looks downright AWESOME. A fun film dealing with ghostly pirates (about time); I will report back when I watch the film by myself in full 5.1 DTS surround, probably tonight.

John Beresford
12-09-2003, 07:38 AM
Got the Pirates of the Carribean DVD early for "the holiday of lights" this year from the girlfriend, and I love it. I saw the film in theaters, but being a big fan of the Disney ride it's based on, the DVD was made all that much better. A beautiful Collector's Edition outer box holds the two disc DVD inner box (just like the new Scarface Anniversary 2-disc release), and the presentation is gorgeous in terms of the packaging. The film is widescreen with no full option to watch on 27" sets such as mine, but it does come with BOTH a DD 5.1 and 5.1 DTS soundtrack. I have not watched it through my system yet in DTS 5.1, only on my GF's 27" Mitsubishi screen, and the presentation video looks real, real clean. Sometimes the image looks so-so, and other times, when you see the waters of the Carribean with the palm trees and all, the DVD looks downright AWESOME. A fun film dealing with ghostly pirates (about time); I will report back when I watch the film by myself in full 5.1 DTS surround, probably tonight.

Okay well, watched Pirates last night through my system in 5.1 DTS (as best I could because I kept on getting interrupted by an idiot ex-neighbor who popped in and annoyed me, demanding I put "Boiler Room" on instead of Pirates while we ate Chinese take out, not to mention I couldnt get the volume up that high because it was late at night and Im in a building)...and here are my thoughts; I read online at hometheaterforum.com a review of this DVD and its DTS sound, and the reviewer wasnt exactly impressed by it, even going so far as to say that the standard DOLBY DIGITAL mix sounded louder than the DTS version---on this particular DVD. I did not watch the Dolby Digital version, however I did note that the DTS mix for Pirates of the Carribean isn't too hot or breathtaking; you're not gonna jump out of your seats here, folks...most of the sound takes place in the front soundstage, and the surrounds dont really shock even during action sequences, like cannons blowing off; the occasional bullet ripping by in the surrounds were impressive, but that was it, and the score seems to teem from all speakers when playing. The soundfield seems rich and surrounding when music is playing, but for an action/adventure film, the surround usage is sparse.

Here's another thing....where is the opening studio banner for this film, as all films have? You play the DVD, and it just begins, going right into "Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl" when the screen transcends from black...no "Walt Disney Pictures" logo to begin the film; nothing....this felt cheap. Also, where are the opening credits? No starring, no produced by, no directed by.....just goes right into the film.