PBS Frontline music industry documentary [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PBS Frontline music industry documentary

Woochifer
09-03-2004, 02:47 PM
I know this was a repeat, but I finally saw the Frontline episode on the music industry called "the way the music died." It was a very interesting look at how artists get packaged and marketed nowadays, and it also made some good points about all of the factors that have pushed the music industry to where it is now. Judging by how everything has converged, and how little attention gets paid to just identifying and releasing good music, it's easy to see that the music company ills are not by accident.

I especially found the behind the scenes marketing footage of Velvet Revolver and Sarah Hudson pretty eyeopening. Hudson seemed to have some talent, but that soundalike single that she got pushed into writing as the first release on her debut CD is so derivative and generic that it was sad to hear.

I'm also glad that Nic Harcourt (music director for KCRW in LA) was interviewed. The music programs on that station are just about the only saving grace in what has become a depressing wasteland on L.A. radio. Anyone interested in actually hearing music that's different and new should tune into their webcasts.

Anyway, here's a link to the program if anyone's interested in viewing it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/music/

And the link to KCRW ...

http://www.kcrwmusic.com

Worf101
09-03-2004, 05:35 PM
I saw it the first time it aired. Her father was sooooo sad when he wished she'd had picked any profession other music. He made it sound like she was becoming a whore, which if you've ever signed the generic 3 album contract, that's exactly what you are. I've made 4 albums over the years, all sefl produced and sold, and I've about as much chance of getting signed and played over commerical radio as I do becoming Pope. Sigh... Gone are the days.

Da Worfster :(

DarrenH
09-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I saw it the first time it aired. Her father was sooooo sad when he wished she'd had picked any profession other music. He made it sound like she was becoming a whore, which if you've ever signed the generic 3 album contract, that's exactly what you are. I've made 4 albums over the years, all sefl produced and sold, and I've about as much chance of getting signed and played over commerical radio as I do becoming Pope. Sigh... Gone are the days.

Da Worfster :(

Worf,

What albums have you made? I mean, what style of music do you play (not that it matters)? Name of your band?

I'd be happy to check some of your music out. This is what this forum is all about. I love to hear new stuff. Of course, I'd pay you for it.

Darren

Worf101
09-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Worf,

What albums have you made? I mean, what style of music do you play (not that it matters)? Name of your band?

I'd be happy to check some of your music out. This is what this forum is all about. I love to hear new stuff. Of course, I'd pay you for it.

Darren

Been a little busy keepin my son occupied until school starts (thank God). My current band is called "Jocamo". We've an album out and are working on the second. You can see what we're about at:

www.heyjocamo.com

Thanks for the love and encouragement.

Da Worfster :D

Worf101
11-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Wholy thread Hijack and ressurection!!!!! Somebody slap this spamming fool with his links to spam and trojan filled, virus ridden FTP's and Bittorrent sites.

Worf

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2009, 06:30 AM
I miss DarrenH. He turned me on to a lot of great music. :(

thekid
11-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Thank God for spammers or I would not have seen this link on the older post.
Liked what I heard-some of those bass lines would sound sweet on my new fav Polk 10's!
I might have to download or pick-up a CD from you. Any recommendations??

Worf101
11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Thank God for spammers or I would not have seen this link on the older post.
Liked what I heard-some of those bass lines would sound sweet on my new fav Polk 10's!
I might have to download or pick-up a CD from you. Any recommendations??
Both Jocamo Albums are for sale. There's a download link on the front page of our website. The link still works. Thanks for the love keed.

Da Worfster

3LB
11-27-2009, 01:03 PM
I miss DarrenH. He turned me on

:yikes: