Better alternative to Bose, please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Better alternative to Bose, please!

soundslike
09-03-2004, 10:26 AM
So a couple of years ago I gave my parents my old sony reciever and a bose acoustimass 3 set I had for their rec room. The sony reciever turned out to be too complicated for them and they never bought a cd player so the system is about worthless to them. They are trying to clean out this room and go with an all-in-one mini unit like the bose wave and acoustic wave units, or possibly a bose 3-2-1. I know these things are stylish and simple to use, but they are way overpriced and sound like crap. Has anyone bought a mini system of this sort latley that they are happy with? Looking for quality sound, simple to use, and decent looks wouldn't hurt. The plan is to ebay the acoustimass to offset the cost. Many thanks!

topspeed
09-03-2004, 10:56 AM
price range?

soundslike
09-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Not sure, I would assume they would want to keep it to $500 or under but I guess it depends on the options.

dean_martin
09-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Not sure, I would assume they would want to keep it to $500 or under but I guess it depends on the options.

Is this the type of mini-system you're talking about?

The Onkyo looks interesting as do the Denon/Mission systems.

soundslike
09-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Yeah, thats kind of what I figured on. I quess I was curious if anyone made a unit similiar to the bose wave units, where everything was "lumped" together.

topspeed
09-03-2004, 01:33 PM
It sounds like you'd just like a nice little stereo set-up, right? I'd suggest an inexpensive integrated such as the Cambridge Audio Azur 540a or NAD C320bee combined with a pair of Epos ELS3's. Go buy a cheap cd player and/or tuner and you're in business for under $600 with sound quality that will absolutely shame any "mini/executive" system or some contrived, overpriced Bose stuff.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?Variant=1&AttribNum=1&pf_id=6722&sku=CAMB540A&selAttribute_1=Silver
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=EPOELS3&product_name=ELS3%20Mini%20Monitor%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

Keep in mind that these are retail prices. Street prices are much lower (around $250 for the CA). Find a local retailer to work your best deal.

Hope this helps.

dean_martin
09-03-2004, 01:38 PM
It sounds like you'd just like a nice little stereo set-up, right? I'd suggest an inexpensive integrated such as the Cambridge Audio Azur 540a or NAD C320bee combined with a pair of Epos ELS3's. Go buy a cheap cd player and/or tuner and you're in business for under $600 with sound quality that will absolutely shame any "mini/executive" system or some contrived, overpriced Bose stuff.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?Variant=1&AttribNum=1&pf_id=6722&sku=CAMB540A&selAttribute_1=Silver
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=EPOELS3&product_name=ELS3%20Mini%20Monitor%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

Keep in mind that these are retail prices. Street prices are much lower (around $250 for the CA). Find a local retailer to work your best deal.

Hope this helps.

I sure like Speedy's suggestion, but I also understand it's for the parents. Will they ever get it?

topspeed
09-03-2004, 02:09 PM
I sure like Speedy's suggestion, but I also understand it's for the parents. Will they ever get it?
Probably not...

but then they'll just give it back to the poster :D

BTW Soundslike,
That Waveradio sounds like hammered sh!t. I've heard it and I think people aren't so impressed with the overall sound as they are the amount of sound and bass emanating from such a small enclosure. This is like seeing a dancing dog. You're not so much amazed at how well the dog dances, but that it can dance at all.

Norm Strong
09-03-2004, 03:25 PM
So a couple of years ago I gave my parents my old sony reciever and a bose acoustimass 3 set I had for their rec room. The sony reciever turned out to be too complicated for them and they never bought a cd player so the system is about worthless to them. They are trying to clean out this room and go with an all-in-one mini unit like the bose wave and acoustic wave units, or possibly a bose 3-2-1. I know these things are stylish and simple to use, but they are way overpriced and sound like crap. Has anyone bought a mini system of this sort latley that they are happy with? Looking for quality sound, simple to use, and decent looks wouldn't hurt. The plan is to ebay the acoustimass to offset the cost. Many thanks!

Reading between the lines, my guess is that you should allow your parents to pick their own equipment. At least it'll be simple enough for them to operate. Further, it doesn't seem like sound quality is an issue for them.

soundslike
09-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Topspeed- I like the idea of the integrated (especially getting back from them when they can't figure it out :D ) but I'm afraid to say we are getting back into the realm of too complicated. If there is a combiation of buttons to push that will shut the whole thing down, they will find it! But I do agree, the wave system is, how the brits say, a piece of shat!

Norm - Actually, its not as simple as that. As parents age they depend on the childeren for certain things, in this case decifering techno bable. They could go down to BB or CC and pick something out on their own, but the kid (do they ever high anyone over 21?)behind the counter will spout out a load of crap to them that is way over their heads.They have no idea if what they are buying is good, bad, overpriced, a passing fad, etc. So they call me, tell me what they want and how much to spend and I go do it. I figure thats the least we can do for them. I have bought all their computers for them and have made them "parent-proof". I tried to do that for HT, but I failed miserabley (they can use a dvd player now :D ). So now its time to find them something simple that I don't have to trouble-shoot over the phone from 2k mi away every weekend. I know this is not really a hi-fi question for a forum like this but, I figured somebody else has probably gone through the same scenario and why not learn from their mistakes.

topspeed
09-03-2004, 08:03 PM
OK, the simple route.

Buy them this:
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_radio&item=c174rczzz

The CSW is actually a really nice sounding radio. It's simple to use, easy to place, will fill the room with great sound, and it's cheap.

It's about as adult proof as you can get.

Woochifer
09-03-2004, 08:26 PM
In your price range, the only Bose system that you can buy is their Waveradio, which is right around the $500 price point if you want the CD player. That Acoustic Wave Music System in the picture you posted costs $1,100, and the 3-2-1 starts around $1,000. I've listened to both of those systems and they are worth nowhere close to that kind of money. Alternatives from Yamaha and Denon in that same price range will give you the same integrated simplicity PLUS 5.1 surround sound and much more advanced digital decoding capabilities. The only difference with the Acoustic Wave system (aside from being cheaper) is that the speakers are not integrated into one enclosure, and IMO that's actually a good thing because you have a lot more placement flexibility.

If simpicity in one enclosure and something comparable to the $500 Bose Waveradio is what you want to stick with, then the Cambridge Soundworks model that Topspeed linked to is a very sensible alternative. I listened to one of those just the other day when I bought a set of the SoundWorks multimedia peakers for my computer at work. The CSW Radio CD is a decent performer for what it is, and the sound is much cleaner than I remember with the Bose model for $200 less.

Geoffcin
09-04-2004, 07:22 AM
OK, the simple route.

Buy them this:
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_radio&item=c174rczzz

The CSW is actually a really nice sounding radio. It's simple to use, easy to place, will fill the room with great sound, and it's cheap.

It's about as adult proof as you can get.

Well built, and good sounding. The gift that keeps on giving....

And if your cheap like me, you can find them listed on Ebay sometimes for 1/2 price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14980&item=5718012573&rd=1