Big Screen Sports [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Big Screen Sports

fishingviking
09-03-2004, 07:43 AM
Hello,

I am wondering if either LCD or DLP technologies have advantages or disadvantages for watching sports. One other question, how about the noise that these different technologies put out.

Thanks for any information. With the football season upon us, I want to make the best choice.

FishingViking

Woochifer
09-03-2004, 12:34 PM
To me the biggest disadvantage of LCD is that on a lot of the screens that I've seen (whether rear projection or flat panel), they don't look their best unless you're looking straight in. My impression of DLP is that it seems to fare better in off-angle viewing. Reviewers who've evaluated DLP TVs have noted that you sometimes get this rainbowing effect and that seems to be its main drawback.

With sports, one thing to keep in mind is that ESPN and ABC's HD feeds are done in 720 lines of resolution progressive (or 720p), while most of the other networks do their HD feeds in 1080 interlaced (1080i). A lot of HDTVs offer no native support for 720p broadcasts, and convert all 720p signals to 1080i. Some sports fans on other boards have noted that for images with a lot of background movement and action, like sporting events, they look better in native 720p than when they get converted to 1080i. To them, progressive scanning subjectively makes the movements look smoother, even if the resolution's not as high.