What Do I Need? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Need?

VRDUB
09-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi all, I have the chance to buy a turntable for next to nothing, but I'm not to sure on what I need or if I need anything else to hook it up. I have a Denon 2805 receiver and I'm pretty sure it has a ground plug (threaded post). I'm new to turntables so I am pretty clueless on this. Can anyone help. THANKS!!!!!!

dean_martin
09-03-2004, 08:23 AM
I did some checking on crutchfield.com and it looks like your receiver does have "phono" inputs for a turntable. You should be fine there. The next step would be to check the cartridge at the end of the tonearm to make sure the stylus/needle is in good shape. Hopefully, others can tell you what to look for to determine whether there's too much wear. Too much wear will damage your records. If your turntable doesn't have a cartridge, or if the stylus is worn, you should determine whether you need a P-mount or standard cartridge. This has to do with how the cartridge is mounted. P-mounts are simple to install, but I think your choices will be limited and most P-mount carts are considered low end or entry-level components, however most Grados come in P-mount. Standard mount (1/2") cartridges are readily available. If you determine that it needs a new cartridge, then figure out what you're willing to spend (prices range from $50 to thousands) and post again asking for suggestions in your price range. If most of your vinyl is new or in very good condition you can probably get by with a discwasher kit that comes with a brush and fluid for cleaning your records. They run about $20. If the seller has the manual or any literature for the turntable and cartridge then go through it and ask questions here. You may need some input if you have to install a cartridge. Also, you may find some helpful info on your new table on the web. Run a search for brand and model #. BTW, post the brand and model# for the table you're looking at. Someone here may have the same thing.

VRDUB
09-03-2004, 10:28 AM
All I saw for a name was DUAL, don't know the model # or anything else about it. He said that the unit works well, but the needle may need to be replaced soon. Has anyone heard of DUAL? I will post some more tonight when I get the table.

dean_martin
09-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Yes! Dual was well-respected for a long time for its turntables. My first turntable upgrade was from a cheap Technics to a Dual manufactured in the 80's. It wasn't even one of their most sought-after models like the ones with the wood bases. But, it was a considerable step up in sound quality. The cartridge on mine was made by Ortofon for Dual (it had a Dual model #) that had a nice full sound with good bass extension. You might want to start looking at Ortofon cartridges for a replacement. Check out the Ortofon lineup at www.needledoctor.com - the OM series is supposed to be pretty good but you can probably beat needledoctor's prices elsewhere (see also www.edsaunders.com).

VRDUB
09-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks, I just called him and the model no is CS 508.
I'll check those site soon, and keep you posted once it's my hands. He is asking $20 for the thing so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Let me know if you are familiar with this model (CS 508). Once again, Thanks Dean!

N. Abstentia
09-03-2004, 11:36 AM
http://www.compassnet.com/concept/tables/CS508.htm

Sold for $160 new in the early 80's, takes standard 1/2" mount carts so you're set :)

dean_martin
09-03-2004, 01:09 PM
ahhh...that brings back memories. I had the CS 528 which was supposedly a step above because it was an automatic, but, alas, too many moving parts and it finally failed mechanically. I sure miss that strobe!