Chroma Key - Dead air for radio. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Chroma Key - Dead air for radio.

Rycher
09-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Since I've seen a few progressive reports here, I thought I'd chime in with one of my favorites.

Kevin Moore's first solo recording since leaving Dream Theater after the AWAKE tour. This CD is not available commercially, but direct thru his website. This is NOT a rock CD, but mostly piano, drums, and bass with some guitar. it's very slow and moody, but picks up the pace where it should. It's recorded very good with clear seperation and deep bass. Sounds better than most big budget CD's and this one was recorded, mixed, written, produced, and labled by himself! Definite demo-material. Mark Zonder of Fates Warning guest stars on drums, but all other instruments are played by Kevin. There are plenty of sound samples, a la Dream Theater, and the atmosphere that is conjured when mixed with the music is just great. I've burned several copies of this CD for several people that don't even like prog, rock, or metal. This is a great piece to play to relax to, as well as for the times you just want to escape.

I don't know who else has this CD around here. If you see it in the USED bin at CD Warehouse, pick it up. In my opinion, it's a definite must have. BTW, samples are available on his website www.chromakey.com

Enjoy!

Dusty Chalk
09-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Actually, I have seen it commercially, and it is quite good. "Undertow" is probably my favourite track, I intend to put that on a comp some day.

BTW, you should probably use euphemisms instead of "burn". I "played this" for several people that don't even like prog...just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore at your own risk.

BarryL
09-03-2004, 05:15 AM
Actually, I have seen it commercially, and it is quite good. "Undertow" is probably my favourite track, I intend to put that on a comp some day.

BTW, you should probably use euphemisms instead of "burn". I "played this" for several people that don't even like prog...just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore at your own risk.

As far as I'm concerned, burning is legal in Canada. We pay a "royalty" to the performing rights associations on every blank CD sold in this country, whether it's for music or not. If I'm paying a royalty, then I'm paying it for the right to copy. That doesn't mean I have the right to sell what I copy.

They can't have it both ways - collecting a royalty and saying it's illegal to copy. That the royalty collection is enforced by the Canadian government means that I can legally copy with their consent. Even so, they're still bastards! Can you say that on this board?

N. Abstentia
09-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Both Chroma Key CD's are just fantastic. If you like the slower, darker side of Pink Floyd you'll like Chroma Key for sure. I also urge everyone to buy these CD's ASAP. When I first got Dead Air the first thing that floored me was Kevin's voice. It's a perfect cross between David Gilmour and Roger Waters which is really kind of odd!

Everybody check it out, else I'll come to your house and pee all over your porch!
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1502303

Troy
09-03-2004, 08:20 AM
Yeah, someone here burned me copies of the first 2 CC albums.

The first half of Dead Air is near perfect music for late night driving. Superb spacerock, it has that lazy tempo and air of mystery. "Colorblind" totally works for me. The second half gets too repetitive and relies on sampled dialog too much.

Dead Air is the better of the 2 discs, but the second one has a few really great songs like "Nice to Know".

Make sure you latch on to Moore's OSI album too. Harder rocking and not as atmospheric.

3-LockBox
09-03-2004, 10:14 AM
As far as I'm concerned, burning is legal in Canada. We pay a "royalty" to the performing rights associations on every blank CD sold in this country, whether it's for music or not. If I'm paying a royalty, then I'm paying it for the right to copy. That doesn't mean I have the right to sell what I copy.

They can't have it both ways - collecting a royalty and saying it's illegal to copy. That the royalty collection is enforced by the Canadian government means that I can legally copy with their consent. Even so, they're still bastards! Can you say that on this board?

We also pay a royalty in this country. A year ago, a '100 count' blank CD-R pack could be found easily for around $19.99US, usually with a $10.00 rebate. Not so anymore. Try more like $29 or $39. And I'm with you; you can't charge us a royalty and then tell what we can do with the blank CD-Rs. And if the law is going to enforce this "tribute", then I will enjoy Guilt-Free copying from here on out. And yes, they are bastards, when you consider how much money I've spent on CDs from recommendation from this board, as well as the few comps that have come my way.

Let's see, at least around $300.00 worth of stuff I would not have otherwise considered, had I not heard a sampling of via a comp or two (and that's a conservative number). But this tells me that record company executives aren't concerned with actual sales as much as they are controlling what everyone is listening to; they absolutely hate individualism and creativity, or at least the kind that exceeds their ability to project the sales figures thereof.

Is it me, or does almost every aspect of life seem to be taking on Orwellian atributes.

NP: Demetrio's <u>Don't Be Ashamed</u> comp

Dave_G
09-03-2004, 12:07 PM
People like us around here komping and making a few copies here and there isn't the problem. The problem is 1,150,000 kids getting their toons for free and the artist getting diddly.

I'll copy anything for anyone. Hell, it's a damn COPY.

Dave

DarrenH
09-03-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm listening to this as I type.

So very different from Dream Theater.

Kevin Moore found his niche. I like his music.

And Troy, it was me who sent you those copies.

Cheers,

Darren

Troy
09-04-2004, 09:19 AM
And Troy, it was me who sent you those copies.

Cheers,

Darren

And I thank you for them. Some of the best discs anyone ever sent me. You oughta write your name on 'em, cuz I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so remembering who sent me a comp 3 years ago . . . tough call.