To Tinhere [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To Tinhere

3db
12-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Hey congrats on your Yammy!! HT mag tested it in January 04 issue and gave it high scores. I didn't like the review because it was written around the self calibration feature and very little ink was dedicated to the sound it produced. One thing that caught my eye and suprised me was the amount of power it dropped during 5 - 7 speaker tests comapred to just two channels. I can't remember the exact numbers now but it was significant. I thought Yamaha was considered to have robust power suppleis. Its only a theoretical test I know. How do you find it in real life use? Does it have power to spare? I'm slowy evolving my system
for multichannel sound and I'm thinking of getting the RXV1400 . :)

TinHere
12-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey 3db,

I haven't seen the reveiw but I haven't had any problem running the Rockets [5.1 system] with the RX-V2400 to unbearable levels without distortion or clippiing and I haven't put the "pedal to the metal" so it has more to give. The feature package is very good on these units and the YPAO did a better job of calibration than I could. YPAO is the main reason I selected the Yammie, but that is coming from a plug and play guy who likes easy set-up. The newer runs have DPLIIx which is listed on the box so I would make sure if you decide on a Yammie that it has it. It sounds very pleasing to my ears, is well constructed, and has all the power I need in my small room. I don't think it will disappoint, and I haven't seen any users complaining that it lacked power. I think the non-standardized power ratings don't reflect "real world" operation, but features sure do. I recommend it at it's price point. YPAO rules. Happy hunting.

46minaudio
12-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Hey congrats on your Yammy!! HT mag tested it in January 04 issue and gave it high scores. I didn't like the review because it was written around the self calibration feature and very little ink was dedicated to the sound it produced. One thing that caught my eye and suprised me was the amount of power it dropped during 5 - 7 speaker tests comapred to just two channels. I can't remember the exact numbers now but it was significant. I thought Yamaha was considered to have robust power suppleis. Its only a theoretical test I know. How do you find it in real life use? Does it have power to spare? I'm slowy evolving my system
for multichannel sound and I'm thinking of getting the RXV1400 . :)

3db Yamaha has some kind of a protection circut that will kick in when over driven.Thats what S&V did with the 440.Most users will never throw 34 watts(Yamaha 440) into 5 channels at the same time for over 1 second..In fact I know of no disc that demands this..Also most users x the center and surrounds over at 80hz,and most likley the frts too.This is called marketing.There Are are recievers out there with honest power ratings(HK,and NAD are 2 off the top of my head).You may suffer QC problems that the Yamaha seems to be imune to..IMO the Yamaha builds a great product(outboard motors also).Unless you have a very difficult load to drive either the 1400/2400 will be fine IMO...

3db
12-09-2003, 08:21 AM
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV-2400Receiver-p1.html