Will I see a difference? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will I see a difference?

rajx7
09-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi All,
I just wanted to know if I will notice any difference in the sound if I change my speaker wire guage from 16 AWG to 10 AWG. I have a Denon AVR 4800 and Athena AS-F2 and As-C1 as fronts. I have been using 16 AWG wires. I read somewhere, if I can use a lower gauge wires, it might improve the sound quality. Is it true ? Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Raj

Tony_Montana
09-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Well, it depend how long of a speaker wire we are talking about. If it is under 15-20 feet, then you will not get any improvements going with lower gauge wire.

rajx7
09-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, it depend how long of a speaker wire we are talking about. If it is under 15-20 feet, then you will not get any improvements going with lower gauge wire.
Thanks Tony. My fronts are pretty close to the receiver like 6-10 ft. I guess it would not make much of a difference. My surrounds are close to 15-20 ft. I guess will help to use it there.Thanks anyways. I was hoping some difference.
Raj

hifitommy
09-02-2004, 09:14 PM
going to larger gauge wire, even with shorter than 10' lengths. but then at 15', diffs in wire, not just gauge were aparent. from monster 12 to aq type 4 (a bargain) as an improvement in deep bass and clarity.

from t4 to kimber 8tc was more clarity. i did this with USED wire and CHEEEEEP too.

when going from monster to aq, i thought i had lost bass when in fact i gained bass extension in contrast with the fat overhang laden bass of the monster twin lead. long term listening will clear your head better than quick A/B switching.

FLZapped
09-03-2004, 04:22 AM
going to larger gauge wire, even with shorter than 10' lengths. but then at 15', diffs in wire, not just gauge were aparent. from monster 12 to aq type 4 (a bargain) as an improvement in deep bass and clarity.

Ah yes, amazing that you would experience a change in the region where the LEAST effect, if any could be had, much less than measured. But then, the key is experienced, because that is what you're basing this on, right? No way to know if it was real or not to anyone but yourself, no?

from t4 to kimber 8tc was more clarity. i did this with USED wire and CHEEEEEP too.

Used? As if it matters, are you afraid the wire will run out of electrons?

when going from monster to aq, i thought i had lost bass when in fact i gained bass extension in contrast with the fat overhang laden bass of the monster twin lead. long term listening will clear your head better than quick A/B switching.

Yes, thought, key word. Therefore, how could you have anything based on "fact" thereafter, especially since you contradict yourself.

Your long term listening comment flies in the face of all research done on differntial testing.

-Bruce

FLZapped
09-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi All,
I just wanted to know if I will notice any difference in the sound if I change my speaker wire guage from 16 AWG to 10 AWG. I have a Denon AVR 4800 and Athena AS-F2 and As-C1 as fronts. I have been using 16 AWG wires. I read somewhere, if I can use a lower gauge wires, it might improve the sound quality. Is it true ? Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Raj

Might is certainly the key word. How long are your runs? Fifty feet and I'd say you've got a chance. Ten feet, and it is rather doubtful that a meaningful(audible) change will take place.

-Bruce