With all due respect, [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : With all due respect,

markw
09-02-2004, 02:15 AM
I suggest that anyone who wants an unbiased answer with reasoning behind it to any question post in the Audio Lab. If one wants unqualified reinforcment of their beliefs, which may or may not be real, then feel free to post their question in any other forum.

I don't see where this breaks any posting laws, do you? It merely offers the poster the option of hearing two sides of an issue should they so choose.

So, don't be surprised if a reply to a post in any forum simply contains the text "See reply in Audio Lab", or perhaps a hyperlink right to that post.

rb122
09-02-2004, 06:37 AM
I suggest that anyone who wants an unbiased answer with reasoning behind it to any question post in the Audio Lab. If one wants unqualified reinforcment of their beliefs, which may or may not be real, then feel free to post their question in any other forum.

I don't see where this breaks any posting laws, do you? It merely offers the poster the option of hearing two sides of an issue should they so choose.

So, don't be surprised if a reply to a post in any forum simply contains the text "See reply in Audio Lab", or perhaps a hyperlink right to that post.

Well done, Mark! You may get one or two out of a hundred but that's still one or two that will get the whole story.

kexodusc
09-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Hey Eric (I know you read these ;) )
In the interst of fairness, I have to suggest that you add a disclaimer, or announcement or something that is clearly visible (and pemanent) to all viewers here that says something to the effect:
"If you want a discussion, or answers invloving members from all points of view (both objective and subjective), and not just those of roughly half the members here, questions should be posted in the "Audio Lab" were ideological censorship will not take place."

Eric, I suggest this because I'm even starting to have to compromise my own posts out of fear that my comments will be deleted. While I agree we have to eliminate the "prove-its" and "thread-jacking" this policy can be rather restrictive at times.

I believe my suggestion would at least give the choice to the poster, and people could decide to post wherever they wish. Then we could enforce the "no dbt etc" rules in the regular forums if questions are posted there with the clear and explicit intention of not having scientific responses.

It's not enough to merely have the "Audio Lab" at the bottom of a list of forums whose names imply questions should be asked only there, more explicit and clear direction should be provided.

...in the interest of fairness :)

Quagmire
09-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Mark,

This is an excerpt from a reply I made to WmAx under Erics "Hi Everybody" thread. I think it expresses a similar thought to that which you are saying here, although I might take issue with you as to whether opinions shared from the objectivist group are without bias, as you seem to suggest. I do think redirecting some lines of argument to "Audio Lab" forum is appropriate, as should be obvious by this reply:

"For instance: Using the hypthetical post you began earlier; entity X might respond to entity A as he initially did with a question, followed up with the same explanation of why there is no scientifically valid reason that the new cables should sound any different than the original zip cable did, BUT then close with an invitation such as, "...if you'd like to learn more about the science and this point of view, you might want to join us on the "obj/sub" board. This would allow you to express yourself, exposing him to the objectivist point of view, yet keep the thread in some kind of order. LIkewise, if a thread really did get hijacked it would allow the moderator to step in and say, "okay guys, why don't you take this argument to the "obj/sub" board". I really don't think this has to be as bad as people are making it out to be."

Q