Digital Radio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Digital Radio

nightflier
09-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Is there a way to do this on the cheap? I'm not so sure I want to pay $10-15 a month for digital radio, especially since many the channels are not commercial-free. Another concern is that XM and several others are struggling to stay financially viable, so they may go under.

I've read that digital FM radio is available for free, but how do I get it into my home receiver w/o subscribing or paying through the nose?

Smokey
09-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Well, Dishnetwork offer Sirius digital audio (60 music channels) as part of their 120 CD package ($34 a month). You don't have to subscribe to Sirius, but you do to Dishnetwork.

nightflier
09-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Well, Dishnetwork offer Sirius digital audio (60 music channels) as part of their 120 CD package ($34 a month). You don't have to subscribe to Sirius, but you do to Dishnetwork.

Hey I didn't install my own TV antenna in the attic for nothing; I get all the basic channels for free (except for the cost of the antenna). Let's see, $34 a month, invested conservatively and compounded over 40 years, would make my retirement a whole lot richer... No, I'm looking for something free or nearly free, like in the days of FM, back in the 90's... Well, FM is still there but slim pickins if I don't want to be assimilated into the Clearchannel Borg.

I remember reading that Kenwood was making a digital FM tuner, but their website says precious little about it, and their techsupport is non-existent. I think they are developping a lemming-like bent for the Sirius monopoly.

Anyone else out there have any suggestions or ideas?