need some help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need some help

InUtero
09-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Hey guys,
I had been reading a lot of your posts and they have helped me a lot in deciding about my first home theater. I will be using it only for music but I want to keep video options open .

I am just an average audio enthusiast and by no means I am an audiophile. In fact I was not aware of many brands like RBH, Arcam, Energy, NAD etc. until I came here.

My budget is around $1000 for receiver and speakers (+/- $100). Its not that I cannot shell out more. I can, but since I am not too big into music and considering my small studio apartment in manhattan (<400 sq ft), I do not intend to spend a lot. I have noticed that people here go for separates in speakers but considering my budget, I think I should go for a complete kit kile Energy take5+1.

I have 4 questions:

1. For receiver: I am partial to Yamaha HTR5760 after reading many posts here. Also I am somewhat interested in Yamaha V650 for only one reason video up conversion. At this moment I dont even own a DVD player but I am sure one day, I will. So I am interested in knowing what this video up conversion will do for me. (may be kexodusc can elaborate on ths a bit).

I hope I am doing good by considering Yamaha over Marantz and Denon.

So my reciever budget is around $400. So that leaves me around 600 for speakers.

2. What speakers do you recommend? A completere readymade kit like Energy take 5+1? Any other complete kit you recommend?

Do you think I can get 5.1 speakers separately in my budget of $600-700 ?

3. Yes, my receiever will be 7.1 but I am buying 5.1 speakers at this moment. So which 2 ports will I leave unused?

4. Most of my music is on my computer which of course is stereo. If I connect my computer to the receiever, will it output 7.1 sound? Or do I need another converter in between?

Thanks a lot guys for any help.

InUtero
09-01-2004, 08:43 AM
I just read Bryan's post in another thread:

"If you are not going to use multiple video sources then connect the dvd player directly to the tv. Running it through a receiver offers no benefit. If you have three or four video sources (dvd player, two game consoles, vcr, cable or satellite, etc.) then you may want to plug them into a receiver and then run one connection from the receiver to the tv. Here it is a case of direct is best."

Yes, I do not have multiple video sources so I guess I do not need video up conversion as it offers no benefit in quality? right?

kexodusc
09-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Video up conversion isn't going to help you much if you can plug straight into your TV, or if you don't have that many sources, so yeah, I guess you're correct.

For the record, HTR-5760 and RX-V650 have the exact same features and are the same unit for all intents and purposes.

Athena's Micra's and Paradigm's Cinema series are the only other speaker kits I've heard in your price range that I would even bother considering besides the Energy Take.
You've got enough money to buy some decent speakers though, if video and home theater isn't a priority for you now, build your 2-channel stereo first, and add speakers later when you need them.

InUtero
09-01-2004, 11:45 AM
YEs, I will go with HTR-5760.

any more comments guys?

I need your help.

InUtero
09-01-2004, 11:54 AM
You've got enough money to buy some decent speakers though, if video and home theater isn't a priority for you now, build your 2-channel stereo first, and add speakers later when you need them.

So you mean to say for audio, it is immaterial if I listen on 2 channel or 5.1?

is that correct?

(Sorry, I am asking stupid questions)

Woochifer
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
So you mean to say for audio, it is immaterial if I listen on 2 channel or 5.1?

is that correct?

(Sorry, I am asking stupid questions)

Talking out of turn (sorry Kexo!) ...

I think the point is that you don't have to buy all five speakers at the same time. The Yamaha (and just about any other receiver) has a virtual surround function that works with two, three, and four speaker setups. So, if you can't afford to get a higher performance five speaker setup right now, you can start with a good pair of main speakers and add on as your budget allows. Most music discs are two-channel sources, and if that's your priority, then you should focus more on starting out with the best pair of speakers that you can afford and then add on.

kexodusc
09-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Yeah, what Woochifer said.

If you aren't more interested in a 5.1 home theater, why pay money for 5 average speakers when you can pay money for 2 great stereo speakers.
It sounds cool to have 5 speakers, but for just CD's it's mostly a waste...
Every few months, buy another speaker or two and build your Home theater a piece at a time.