Multi Zone Receiver Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Multi Zone Receiver Help

tylercarter21
08-31-2004, 02:27 PM
I am building a house in which I have installed a nuvo 6 zone speaker system. I would like a multi zone receiver to use with this system so that I can use multiple sources in various rooms or areas of the house. My current Yamaha A/V receiver only supports one zone and will probably only support my HT in my living room. My budget is around $400-$500 and I have looked at the Yamaha Rx-V750. Any other ideas or suggestions???

nightflier
08-31-2004, 05:36 PM
... budget is around $400-$500... Any other ideas or suggestions???

If you don't mind another brand name, I have been working with a HK3480 stereo receiver and I am very impressed with it. It powers my living room speakers and my yard speakers. It has 120 Watts of power when all four speakers are driven, which for $300 is quite a feat (& it also has video switching and a phono input that I don't use right now). However, it does not allow you to set a seperate source or volume for the second set of speakers, so it isn't a completely dual-zone capable system, but what I really like is that I can select both sets of speakers on the remote. This is enough for my needs.

Previously, I had been using an Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver that I decomissioned from my TV room. It had true dual zone / dual source capabilities, but it got really confusing to keep the two sources straight on the remote, although that may not be an issue for you. It is a surround receiver as well, so you can have 6.1 channels playing when you're not using the zone 2 (surround only works with one zone enabled). But if you're going to use it for stereo in both zones, you should have no problems at all. You can find this receiver online for about $350, and I think the lower TX-SR502 will do the same but with fewer watts.

The Onkyo is now powering an old set of Polk speakers in my garage (where I spend most of my time, anyhow), but only because the HK is simpler to use and because as a surround receiver it just seemed overkill to use in a two channel configuration. I will probably sell it, if I can find a buyer.

tylercarter21
09-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Ok, I need some more input...

Yamaha Rx-V750 OR
HK AVR330

Let me know some experiences with either for Multi Zone capabilities. Thanks.

AVMASTER
09-02-2004, 10:52 AM
I am building a house in which I have installed a nuvo 6 zone speaker system. I would like a multi zone receiver to use with this system so that I can use multiple sources in various rooms or areas of the house. My current Yamaha A/V receiver only supports one zone and will probably only support my HT in my living room. My budget is around $400-$500 and I have looked at the Yamaha Rx-V750. Any other ideas or suggestions???
r u refering to the Nuvo Essentia system? if so you don't need a multi-zone receiver, just source components

tylercarter21
09-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Yes I am referring to the Nuvo Essentia system. However, it will be hooked up to 6 separate zones in my house. My HT system is on a separate zone by itself. I need a multi-zone receiver so that I can listen to 2 separate tuner stations in two different zones.

AVMASTER
09-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Yes I am referring to the Nuvo Essentia system. However, it will be hooked up to 6 separate zones in my house. My HT system is on a separate zone by itself. I need a multi-zone receiver so that I can listen to 2 separate tuner stations in two different zones.
using a separate dual tuner would be a simplier route, check out some of these:
Teac TR-D2000
or
Elan DTNR
or
2 Parasound "half width" TDQ-150
or
Antex Electronics XM-3000

tylercarter21
09-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Nuvo doesn't supply the power does it? Don't I need a Receiver to push the speakers??

AVMASTER
09-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Nuvo doesn't supply the power does it? Don't I need a Receiver to push the speakers??
you do not need a receiver, the Nuvo supplies 20 watts per channel; all you need are the source components and speakers
if i may be so inquisitive, where did you get the system?

tylercarter21
09-22-2004, 07:56 AM
AVMASTER, thanks for your help. I got the NUVO system from a local dealer here in AL. He is trying to push the HK AVR330, which I believe to be a good receiver. I have a HT (5.1 setup) in my living room, plus an additional 6 zones with 2 ceiling speakers each. Will the nuvo supply enough power to push each of the ceiling speakers?? If so, then I could just get a dual tuner and that would be all I would need. Correct??

AVMASTER
09-22-2004, 11:51 AM
AVMASTER, thanks for your help. I got the NUVO system from a local dealer here in AL. He is trying to push the HK AVR330, which I believe to be a good receiver. I have a HT (5.1 setup) in my living room, plus an additional 6 zones with 2 ceiling speakers each. Will the nuvo supply enough power to push each of the ceiling speakers?? If so, then I could just get a dual tuner and that would be all I would need. Correct??
CORRECT, the Nuvo supplies 20 wpc- enough for in-ceiling speakers providing background music