Mitsubishi 2-channel receiver DA-R20 any info? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi 2-channel receiver DA-R20 any info?

kevyboy
08-31-2004, 12:47 PM
Does anybody out there know anything about the mid-1980s Mitsubishi DA-R20 stereo receiver? Performance? Quality? Power output? Reputation?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks... kevyboy.

topspeed
08-31-2004, 01:58 PM
Garbage. We had a Mits integrated from the same era and found the volume pot to be a joke with sound quality thin and very cold. It crapped out after only 7 years or so. I say "only" relative to other products such as vintage ('70's) Marantz, Pioneer, or even Fischer receivers that are still going strong today.

Move on.

kevyboy
08-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks topspeed... for the cautionary advice... I guess that's why one doesn't see or hear much about them.

Chi Town Player
03-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Hi Kevboy
I'm new to the forum and will try to keep this short. I have owned a DA-R20 for about 30 years and have never had an issue with the receiver. The reviews on this unit were 4.5 out of 5 stars when I purchased it and the audiophile mags were right on target. I rate the unit high in terms of its reliability and performance. I also know folks who own or have owned this unit and share the same opinon. I purchased my unit back in the early 80's and only had to have it serviced once to replace the tuner's lamp. The amp is rated conservatively, but is very clean with little distortion, also the tuner is one of the best performers in a receiver. I can routinely pull in stations 90 miles out with a good dipole ant. I am a jazz enthusiast and would place this unit in the same class as Hafler's Baden's and my Carver system which I currently own..... Regards.

Golden Ears
04-05-2014, 08:58 AM
yeah its a dead thread.

I owned one.. 1981. I blew it up several times.. it HATES LOW IMPEDANCE LOADS...never partner it with vintage Infinity speakers. Tuner section was pretty good- not as good as a Magnum Dynalab... but decent. you can get them for about $150. Which considering its looks ONLY... isn't all that bad.

Lovely looking piece.

I would still buy one for nostalgia... bit it was brittle dry and boring... just about as cold as it got. it had detaila nd clarity... but stripped music of its warmth.. bass light too.

Do not buy it if you like to play loud and rock out.. but for quiet jazz and classical.. its a decent bet.