Sounds Like.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Like....

ForeverAutumn
08-31-2004, 07:51 AM
What songs sound the same to you...or similar. Maybe the introduction reminds you of something else...or the melody...or there's a guitar riff that sounds more like a guitar rip-off.

Here's a few to get things started.

An obvious one is the introduction to Kenny Loggins Footloose and John Cougar's The Authority Song.

Flaming Lips Fight Test sounds just like Cat Steven's Father and Son to me. I can sing Father and Son almost word for word to Fight Test's music.

There's a song by Blue Rodeo called Know Where You Go. The intro to this song always reminds me of Pink Floyd's A Pillow Of Winds.

Wanna play? Name some other similar duos. Direct rip-offs and remixes like the rappers use don't count.

kexodusc
08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Direct Rip-offs:

(this one's funny) The Rolling Stones ripped-off K.D. Lang's <i> Constant Craving</i> (and were successfully sued) with <i>Anybody Seen My Baby </i>

Hmmm, I think Iced Earth sounds like Iron Maiden meets Pantera...pick any two songs and mix them. Still, their fun to listen too if your in the mood for some retro-cheesy 80's heavy metal.

tentoze
08-31-2004, 10:27 AM
There's a song on the latest Stan Ridgway cd (can't cite the name of the tune, only listened to the cd once so far) that has a synth going in the background that I swear is playing the chorus line from Paul Simon's 59th Street Bridge Song, the da-da-da-da-da, da-da, feeling groovy one.

Stone
08-31-2004, 10:43 AM
The guitar part of Green Day's "Warning" is the same as the Kinks' "Picture Book."

And of course there's the Elastica "Connection" rip off of Wire - Elastica lost in court about that one.

Slosh
08-31-2004, 01:16 PM
Lucinda Williams' "Essence" sounds like ZZ Top's "I Need You Tonight". And LW's "Drunken Angel" reminds me of Counting Crows' "'Round Here". Don't believe me? Listen for yourself.

And it goes without saying that Dream Theater sounds like s<a>hit! :D

Dusty Chalk
08-31-2004, 06:09 PM
The instrumental break in Matthew Parmenter's "Dirty Mind" sounds like Beatles' "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" played on piano. Sort of.

Worf101
09-01-2004, 07:04 AM
1. "My Sweet Lord" George Harrision - "He's so Fine" , The Chiffons (?) Harrison successfuly sued.

2. "Fallin", Alicia Keys - "It's a man's world", James Brown. Talk about a note for note rip of a vastly superior song. Saw her play it live on TV one night I was so incensed.

3. "Surfin' USA" The Beach Boys - "Sweet Little Sixteen" Chuck Berry - Another notable rip-off butl it was pre "Pet Sounds" so whadda ya want?

4. "Rock n Roll Girls" John Fogarty - "Downtown", Petula Clark. Same chords same changes same song, different words.

5. "I want a new drug", Huey Lewis and the News - "Ghostbusters" - Ray Parker Jr. They asked him to rip off the song, he did rip off the song, they sued him for ripping off the song, he paid them for ripping off the song.

Well, that's all I can get off the top of my head without going to "rap" rip off's like Vanilla Ice etc...

Da Worfster :cool:

kexodusc
09-01-2004, 07:11 AM
And it goes without saying that Dream Theater sounds like s<a>hit! :D

Only to the spoonfed ;)

topspeed
09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
An obvious one:

Romantics "What I Like About You." and John Cougar Mellencamp "R.O.C.K in the USA".

KEXPMF
09-01-2004, 10:53 AM
here are 3 that have a similar riff:

Swervedriver - Harry and Maggie
Jeff Buckley - The Last Goodbye
Stone Temple Pilots - Vaseline

ForeverAutumn
09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
here are 3 that have a similar riff:

Swervedriver - Harry and Maggie
Jeff Buckley - The Last Goodbye
Stone Temple Pilots - Vaseline

Oooh, a triplet! Good one.

3-LockBox
09-01-2004, 11:34 AM
1. "My Sweet Lord" George Harrision - "He's so Fine" , The Chiffons (?) Harrison successfuly sued. Da Worfster :cool:

George Harrison was successfully sued by the members of the girl-group <b>The Chiffons</b> for ripping off 'He's So Fine'.

3-LockBox
09-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Both Phil Collins and the lead singer of <b>Toto</b> admitted to using the music of <b>Sly And the Family Stone</b>'s 'Hot Fun In The Summer Time' for the songs, 'Misundestanding' and 'Hold The Line', respectively.

It was suspected by freinds of mine the Eddie Van Halen's keyboard intro to 'Jump' was a rip-off of Prince's '1999' opening keyboard riff.

ZZ-Top rips themselves off by recycling the song 'La Grange' in the form of 'My Head's In Mississippi'

John Fogerty is accused ripping CCR off when ex-bandmates sued him for the song 'Old Man Down The Road', insisting that it was a note for note copy of 'Run Through The Jungle'. Fogerty won.

Slosh
09-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Only to the spoonfed ;)
Ah, Spoon. Good idea :D

NP: Spoon - A Series Of Sneaks

Dusty Chalk
09-01-2004, 12:58 PM
The main riff in Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" sounds a little bit like Heart's "Barracuda", slowed down. There's a Blondie song, too, but can't think of it right now. So there's another triplet for you if you can name that song.

(At least, I think it's Blondie -- it's something "new wave"...perhaps Duran^2...)

Or maybe it's "Children of the Grave"...

ForeverAutumn
09-01-2004, 05:20 PM
The main riff in Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" sounds a little bit like Heart's "Barracuda", slowed down. There's a Blondie song, too, but can't think of it right now. So there's another triplet for you if you can name that song.

(At least, I think it's Blondie -- it's something "new wave"...perhaps Duran^2...)

Or maybe it's "Children of the Grave"...

Thanks for narrowing that down for us. ;)

Dusty Chalk
09-01-2004, 07:20 PM
I think the Blondie song is "Heart of Glass".

Ex Lion Tamer
09-02-2004, 09:01 AM
You're right about that Flaming Lips song...don't know how they don't get sued. And...

The Jam's "Start" / The Beatles' "Taxman"

ForeverAutumn
09-02-2004, 09:36 AM
You're right about that Flaming Lips song...don't know how they don't get sued.

I guess when you give up all personal posessions of wealth, you open the doors for people to take your stuff.

3-LockBox
09-02-2004, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Dusty Chalk it's Blondie -- it's something "new wave"...perhaps Duran^2...)
Or maybe it's "Children of the Grave"...[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it!!!

<b>Blondie</b>'s 'Call Me' does have a riff in common with 'Children Of The Grave'.