Xbox vs. PS2 as a dvd player and game system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Xbox vs. PS2 as a dvd player and game system

IRG
12-08-2003, 06:48 AM
I want to purchase a new game system either XBox or PS2, I currently own PS1, but am bored. I am not a big time gamer (obviously) but love to play a little Grand Turismo now and then. If I get a second TV, I will need a second dvd player. Could I use the Xbox or PS2 as a legitimate dvd player with my current home theater? I have a basic 27 TV right now. Want to upgrade that too. If they aren't good as a dvd player, why they aren't. I have a 5 disc Sony dvd player at the moment.

And now, for all you gamers, is the Xbox a better platform? It may be more advanced, but does it matter? GT2 and auto games are my favorite. They don't make GT for Xbox do they? I still have games I could use from PS1 on a new PS2 player, another plus. But if people feel Xbox is superior I might go that route. Any help would be appreciated. IRG (formerly igor.)

Worf101
12-08-2003, 07:35 AM
but I'm very familiar with them as game platforms. XBox in a good game platform held back by price of games. Games for XBox are prohibitavely expensive. The same games ported for PS2 are much much cheaper. PS2 is a more mature platform with a wider variety of games and mods. As a gamer, I'd go with PS2

Da Worfster

BoostedA4
12-08-2003, 08:08 AM
I don't believe price of games is an issue. Practically all new games that come out are $50 for both systems, with the occasional game being offered for less for PS2, and vice versa. Maybe some of the oldest ps2 games can be had for real cheap, especially since the system has been around longer, but so can old xbox games.

As far as systems are concerned, Xbox is clearly "better" in the sense of the technology. Not to mention it has a hard drive, 4 ports for controllers, and allows for better graphics. You can connect and play online with no cost through the ethernet port in the back, which is what I do, as well as pay for the xbox live service if you choose. As for PS2, I'm not sure whether they have something like this.

For DVD quality, I can't give you much advice. I own a very old DVD player, so my XBOX with component video input is much better. Compared to newer progressive scan DVD's and other technology, I don't know how it stacks up.

But really, it boils down to the games. If the system doesn't offer any games you like, why buy it? Try out project gotham racing for xbox, I hear it's real good. Then try some racing for PS2. Also, you really have to play HALO, and play it online. I have 2 PS2 friends who bought xboxes entirely for HALO......and HALO 2, which should be out in the spring I believe.

Just my $.02

samgupta
12-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Another thing you might want to consider is how easy it is to rent games for each platform. What does the local movie rental place have? Renting games is often a good way to check them out without dropping the cash on them.

If you like racing games, check out the Project Gotham Racing (often just called PGR) series. The first one was a launch title for the xbox and was pretty incredbile. I'm a casual gamer like yourself, but it was enough to get me to buy an xbox back when I saw that. The second one just came out and it is amazing.

When the xbox first came out, there was a lack of good games. This is not a rip on that platform, but is typical of a new/ground up design. The same thing could be said of the Playstation 1 when it arrived. The situation is now quite different. I'd recommend checking out the game titles that are available and their quality to determine which system is best for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Woochifer
12-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Grand Turismo is a PSOne/PS2 exclusive and won't come around to Xbox since Sony produces that game. GT3's been out for a while and GT4's coming out very soon. As far as choosing between xbox and PS2 goes, as others have said, it really depends on which games you're most interested in. The nice thing about the PS2 is that it is backwards compatible with the PSOne, so you can play all of your old PSOne games on the unit without swapping out units constantly. Also, the PS2's got a much bigger game library, and several popular series like Grand Theft Auto and Final Fantasy, and online gaming from EA sports are PS2 exclusives (GTA's now getting ported over to Xbox, but the newest releases will remain PS2 exclusive).

Technologically, the Xbox is pretty far ahead of the PS2, but when I got my PS2 a couple of years ago that advantage was irrelevant because all the games I was interested in were on the PS2 platform. Obviously Xbox has put out a lot of good games in the meantime, but the thing to consider is which platform has the best exclusives. And for my gaming, the PS2 is stil superior in that regard.

As far as DVD performance goes, everything I've read indicates that the Xbox is a better DVD player than the PS2. IMO, the PS2's not all that great with DVDs and any entry level player out there right now will give you better picture quality. The Xbox has an advantage because it gives you component video output and progressive scan, but whether that's better than a standalone player, I can't tell you.

IRG
12-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I had the feeling that Xbox is a better machine, but other factors weigh in heavy too. The fact that Grand Turismo is not on Xbox is a real deterrent IMO, as that is my favorite game. GT4 is coming out in April I heard yesterday.

I don't think I would use either machine as my dvd player. Only a game system. The fact that PS1 has served me well for so long, probably means I will stick with PS2 for now.

Thanks again.
How does PS2 plug into your tv, composite, or s video? Thanks.

BrianUDLaw
12-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I had the feeling that Xbox is a better machine, but other factors weigh in heavy too. The fact that Grand Turismo is not on Xbox is a real deterrent IMO, as that is my favorite game. GT4 is coming out in April I heard yesterday.

I don't think I would use either machine as my dvd player. Only a game system. The fact that PS1 has served me well for so long, probably means I will stick with PS2 for now.

Thanks again.
How does PS2 plug into your tv, composite, or s video? Thanks.

The PS2 comes with composite cables, but you can buy s-video or even component cables for it.

Although it looks like they're out of stock at the moment, Walmart.com has a pretty cheap component cable that does a pretty good job. Check back in a few days to see if they get any in stock. It really is worth it.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=103124&dept=4171&product_id=1731753&path=0%3A4171%3A103124%3A103102%3A37874%3A118402%3 A118405

recoveryone
12-10-2003, 07:28 AM
I don't believe price of games is an issue. Practically all new games that come out are $50 for both systems, with the occasional game being offered for less for PS2, and vice versa. Maybe some of the oldest ps2 games can be had for real cheap, especially since the system has been around longer, but so can old xbox games.

As far as systems are concerned, Xbox is clearly "better" in the sense of the technology. Not to mention it has a hard drive, 4 ports for controllers, and allows for better graphics. You can connect and play online with no cost through the ethernet port in the back, which is what I do, as well as pay for the xbox live service if you choose. As for PS2, I'm not sure whether they have something like this.

For DVD quality, I can't give you much advice. I own a very old DVD player, so my XBOX with component video input is much better. Compared to newer progressive scan DVD's and other technology, I don't know how it stacks up.

But really, it boils down to the games. If the system doesn't offer any games you like, why buy it? Try out project gotham racing for xbox, I hear it's real good. Then try some racing for PS2. Also, you really have to play HALO, and play it online. I have 2 PS2 friends who bought xboxes entirely for HALO......and HALO 2, which should be out in the spring I believe.

Just my $.02

The PS2 has online network free for all the games I'll checked (Madden 03/04 Gameday 03/04 SOCOM I/II) and you can use a keyboard ($10.00) and headset ($25.00) with the above listed games. As an DVD platform, it works fine for a backup or game room system. PS2 has toslink connection for digital sound (5.1). I've seen the XBOX in action and the Harddrive is a big plus (play your own music with some games). The one thing I would add on this subject is you will need to hookup either system to a decent DPL or 5.1 receiver to really get into it.
If you like GT you'll love it hearing the cars engines next to you and behind (makes you want to turn around, like you would in a real car to see who's coming).

yakkosmurf
12-10-2003, 08:41 AM
I would go with the PS2, but not as a DVD player. I chose the PS2 before the XBOX came out, but I'm glad it's what I'm going with. The Halo games are not an interest to me, since I'm a racing fan as well. Gran Turismo is the best racing game there is. GT3 is awesome and GT4 is supposed to be network capable. I can't wait. For that reason, I will stick with my PS2. I'm waiting to see what the PS3 may bring, or I might get an XBOX as well if they have a game out that I want.

I also agree with the idea of buying a standalone DVD player. I haven't used the PS2 much for that since I've always had another player. However, my brother did for a long time, and even with the Sony DVD remote for the PS2, I never liked the interface much.

Both game systems are good and have their pros and cons. Just get the one that best suits you.

Jim Clark
12-10-2003, 11:02 AM
PS2 is a more mature platform with a wider variety of games and mods. As a gamer, I'd go with PS2

Da Worfster

Do you have any links for the mods you can recomend? I'm getting the boys a PS2 for Christmas and am really interested in the mod for playing DVDR's of games since I've asked for a DVDR +/- drive.

Thanks Worf,

jc

GooseWashington
03-07-2024, 08:58 PM
The player-game relationship is crucial. To enhance it, focus on games that resonate with your preferences and challenge your skills. Engage in diverse genres to broaden your gaming horizon. Experience the thrill of player-game interaction by checking out fnaf unblocked (https://fnafgames.net/unblocked/), where playing Five Nights at Freddy's for free allows you to dive into a captivating world, strengthening your connection with the gaming environment.