Looking for nice cheap speakers. please help. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for nice cheap speakers. please help.

nice_tie36
08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
I know this might start get kinda annoying. sorry. I just need some help. We're buying a house and I would like to get a nice cheap sound system for my bed room. I later plan on adding a 52 inch big screen t.v as soon as I can make some more money and get a nice sound system. I've been looking around and currently am looking at sony. My parents have a sony home theater system but I kinda don't like it because its to much punch and not enough voice or what ever you call it. I want something that has a good amount of bass but yet doesn't ruin the way the rest of the system sounds. I am on a budget of about 1100 dollars. The speakers aren't that big of a deal I just want something that is good but yet cheap. I want a nice reciever, equalizer, etc. I can always sell the speakers to my parents when I can afford nicer ones. What brands do you guys like that are cheap but yet sound good? I am purchising a whole system. But just tell me some good, realiable, cheap brands. Your input is wanted. And my bed room is just over 300 sq ft. I don't really care about my living room system because I spend more time in my room watching movies and listening to music anyways. Just leave your input. Thanks.

poneal
08-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Give us a price range....

nice_tie36
08-30-2004, 02:21 PM
I would like to spend around 5-800 dollars. Once I get the speakers I just need the reciver right? Just to listen to the radio? If thats right then I will save up more money to buy a better processeor, equalizer etc. But I mostly listen to radio because I have a very out of date cd collection that I no longer like. But around 5-800 dollars on speakers maybe more if I just need a reciver to listen to the radio from them.

topspeed
08-30-2004, 03:24 PM
That's hardly "cheap." In fact, you can get a pretty nice set of speakers for that kind of dough.

Some more questions:
1) Do you want standmounts or floorstanders?
2) What do you listen to?
3) What receiver to plan on buying?
4) 2 channel or multi channel?
5) Is that big tv going in your bedroom? Do the speakers need to be shielded?
6) That $5-800 is for speakers, right? Not the whole system.

nice_tie36
08-30-2004, 03:34 PM
I want bookshelf for the rear, floor standing for the front and like 4 little surround sound speakers going around the room. I like all kinds of music. It just depends what kind of mood I'm in but I mostly listen to rock. And yes the 5-800 dollars is just for speakers. I don't know what kind of receiver I'm going to get because I don't know what to look for or whats good and whats not. Do the good speakers plug in like head phones do or do they plug in like walmarts with just plain wires? Whats the diffrent between 2 channel and multichannel? I'm thinking about putting that big of a t.v in my room but my idea will most likely change. I'm new the home audio world I know more about the car audio world. Thanks.

Woochifer
08-30-2004, 06:14 PM
I want bookshelf for the rear, floor standing for the front and like 4 little surround sound speakers going around the room. I like all kinds of music. It just depends what kind of mood I'm in but I mostly listen to rock. And yes the 5-800 dollars is just for speakers. I don't know what kind of receiver I'm going to get because I don't know what to look for or whats good and whats not. Do the good speakers plug in like head phones do or do they plug in like walmarts with just plain wires? Whats the diffrent between 2 channel and multichannel? I'm thinking about putting that big of a t.v in my room but my idea will most likely change. I'm new the home audio world I know more about the car audio world. Thanks.

For your budget, you're better off sticking with bookshelf speakers all the way around. The floorstanders in that price range generally have resonance problems with the cabinets, and you typically have to go over about $1,000 before the speakers generally don't have that problem.

And I would be cautious about going with an all-in-one home theater package, because most of the ones in that price range have serious problems beginning in the lower midrange. I would start auditioning the L/R main speakers and see whether the ones at your price limit are worth the price premium over what you could buy in a multichannel configuration at the same price. Keep in mind that with home theater, you can incrementally add on to your system as funds become available. I spent two years accumulating the speakers for my system, and the wait was well worth it.

Nearly all decent speakers will have screwdown posts in the back that can accommodate heavy gauge wires or banana plugs. The wires themselves are the last thing you should spend big money on, especially for your price range. For an entry level system, stick with bulk 14 gauge speaker wires and you should be fine. If you want more convenience, then get the ends fitted with banana plugs.

Right now, most music is two-channel because the format of choice there is the CD. But, for movies, the playback medium has pretty much moved to 5.1 (five channels plus low frequency effects LFE channel). If you plan to mostly listen to music, then target your budget for the two best speakers you can buy for the money. For home theater, you can also start with two channels, but it's up to you whether you want your budget to also initially include the center speaker and/or surrounds and/or subwoofer. Keep in mind that the vast majority of receivers nowadays have at least five channels of amplification on board. Two-channel receivers are a rapidly disappearing market, and can often cost more than a comparably powered multichannel unit.

RGA
08-30-2004, 06:40 PM
In your price range to get all the speakers you may want to give a serious listen to the Athena Acoustics brand carried at FutureShop in Canada and likely Best Buy in the US. I had a poor first impression with Athena but a Future Shop in Kelowna had a reasonably good set-up - still a wall of speakers but a switch box at the front of the room at the listening position could bounce back from speaker to speaker.

Generally I dislike these kinds of set-ups but it can still provide much valuable information. And hey all the spekaers are in the same boat. It also helps that the room was set-up by a veteran High End dealer who recently moved to Kelowna where there are none - he knows his stuff - not too many Future Shop guys know about Audio Note Japan or for that matter that people still buy 2 channel amplifiers.

It does not hurt to try - I quite enjoyed the $499.00Cdn floorstanding Athena over the $1099.00JBL which had terrible box resonance and a hollow sound and over the Polk Audio they had for $1299.00 which had a smoother but less invigorating and interesting treble response. Athena is made by the same group that makes Energy and Mirage - to that I don't love - but at this price you get a similar presentation and IMO a more fun one with a bigger sound if a little less refined.

But let's face it you can't expect the world at this price and for the moeny they are built to a price point built in China - but the Sarah McLachlan Mirrorball live music DVD did sound enjoyable could go pretty darn big and dynamic and "breathy" compared to the others. IMO it's worth a serious audition - I would take them over the costlier models mentioned - despite the fact that the Polk is technically superior in a few areas - they don't "sound" as good to me. You could easily get a complete system under your budget.

RoyY51
08-31-2004, 05:27 AM
You might consider the Monitor Audio Bronze system. I have 4 B2's for front and back and the Bronze Center for center channel duties. These are very highly reviewed bookshelf speakers ( Absolute Sound, DVD etc. ) with wonderful midrange, non-grating highs and bass response to 42 hz. I purchased all 5 pieces at DMCElectronics.com. for 800.00.

46minaudio
08-31-2004, 06:17 AM
I know this might start get kinda annoying. sorry. I just need some help. We're buying a house and I would like to get a nice cheap sound system for my bed room. I later plan on adding a 52 inch big screen t.v as soon as I can make some more money and get a nice sound system. I've been looking around and currently am looking at sony. My parents have a sony home theater system but I kinda don't like it because its to much punch and not enough voice or what ever you call it. I want something that has a good amount of bass but yet doesn't ruin the way the rest of the system sounds. I am on a budget of about 1100 dollars. The speakers aren't that big of a deal I just want something that is good but yet cheap. I want a nice reciever, equalizer, etc. I can always sell the speakers to my parents when I can afford nicer ones. What brands do you guys like that are cheap but yet sound good? I am purchising a whole system. But just tell me some good, realiable, cheap brands. Your input is wanted. And my bed room is just over 300 sq ft. I don't really care about my living room system because I spend more time in my room watching movies and listening to music anyways. Just leave your input. Thanks.
Go to Best Buy and give the Athena ASB1s a try..You should be able to get 6 for 450$.Add a HSU VTF 2 Sub for 400$..For a receiver look at The Yamaha RXV 1400...

nice_tie36
08-31-2004, 03:12 PM
So I'm better off just getting bookshelf speakers?

Geoffcin
08-31-2004, 04:48 PM
So I'm better off just getting bookshelf speakers?

If your on a budget, then a suite of bookshelf speakers, along with a sub makes good sense. As others have pointed out here; to get a pair of good floorstander for less than a grand a pair is going to be tough. Almost anything you get is going to be better than the sony system your parents have. I've had good experiance with Cambridge Soundworks speakers. http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com They have some good packages in the price range you are looking at.

N. Abstentia
08-31-2004, 04:52 PM
If you're going to add a sub, I would definitely go with bookshelfs. You'd get better sound quality and wouldn't have to deal with all the problems that come with floorstanders.

bobhaze
09-01-2004, 10:08 AM
This is a good one. My brother-in-law has this system with a two year old Sony receiver. Every time I hear it I leave impressed for the money he spent. It is a suprisingly good package that is very well balanced. http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_package&item=k1pkmv4zz&type=store

nice_tie36
09-01-2004, 11:58 AM
All right. Thanks for the input if you have anymore that would be great. But I have one question. I was looking at the cambridge website and on the side of products it says like "good", "better", "best" and "wow". This sounds kind of dumb. But what is better? Best or better.

topspeed
09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
good->better->best->wow

Bryan
09-02-2004, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't count out buying used gear or factory direct options either.

For example for used:

nOrh ceramic 4.0 package - $425 plus shipping (call it $475)
SVS PB10-ISD - $450 ($399 plus shipping)

For new:

HSU Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combo - $770 (should be delivered)

Rocket Tyke/Kenwood 7100 combo - $498 plus shipping but includes receiver

Bryan Hunt
09-13-2004, 01:45 PM
I would look at E-bay for the best deals on just about anything. Speakers last almost forever (well at least a couple of decades) if they aren't abused. If you have room for them, I would hunt down a pair of BIC Venturi Formula 4 speakers. They are cheap to buy (you can get a pair for less than $100, I bet) and really good sounding, especially for rock music. I had a pair for 25 years (paired with a Dynaco 150 amp) and then upgraded to real nice (and expensive) B&W 901s and 701s (I have 2 stereo systems). But when I auditioned new speakers, I used my old BICs as references, and beat up as they were, they held up very well against new speakers costing well over $1000 (top of the line Cambridge, Snell, Paradyme Studio 100s, Kef reference series, and B&Ws). The BICs are great. Period. Don't be a brand snob. Listen with your ears, not with your eyes.

KRiTiKaL
09-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Yes definately agree with Bryan about Hsu Ventriloquist system for your bedroom. Here Here for Hsu! :D

stuartlittle
09-13-2004, 08:38 PM
I would check out the Orb Audio system, too. You could start off with a Mod1 system and a sub for $699 and then upgrade to Mod2 speakers when you get that TV or as your budget allowed.

chimera128
09-14-2004, 01:38 AM
I went to Best Buy the other day to buy a couple of movies and decided to venture into their "audio" listening room. I skipped over the BOSE portion (even though there were a couple of people looking at them and I had to resist saving them =)) and went to the Athenas. I listened to the floorstanders and wasn't too impressed by them, although this could be a hookup issue. The bookshelfs sounded pretty good, I'm not sure of the model number, but it was the largest bookshelfs they had on display. If I were buying a system for <$1000 I would probably go the sub/sat route. Go out and listen to as many speakers in your area as you can until you find a pair that you like, and pick up a good sub. I still haven't listened to the HSU VTF-2 ? sub but that's mostly because I don't like COMPUSA's customer service. It does have a following though and seems to be a solid choice. Properly setup a good bookshelf/sub system will sound better or just as good as speakers costing much more. If you like the idea of towers you can probably pick up ~$1200 tower speakers for around $800.00 (or a sub/bookshelf $1200 for $800). Either will probably fit your bill considering that it is just going to be a bedroom system. You will be able to negotiate more on demo models and discontinued models, but you can usually get around 20% off of new models or more if the salesperson really wants your business. The brand, even though other's suggestions may help you come up with speakers to audition, doesn't really matter. Just get what you like (whether it be towers or bookshelf/sub) and have a good time doing it.