Dream Theater Setlist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater Setlist

MasterCylinder
08-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I found the setlist from DT's last few nights opening for YES. Even though the tour-segment is part of the TRAIN OF THOUGHT tour, I was surprised to learn that only one song is from that album.......and it is an instrumental (STREAM OF CONCIOUSNESS).

The setlist had one song from IMAGES AND WORDS, one song from FALLING INTO INFINITY, one song from SCENES FROM A MEMORY and almost the entire 2nd disc from 6DIT...........I'll love it if they play the same list (since they are known to mix it up from day to day) but I was simply surprised at their selection of music to play.

Anybody out there seen the DT/YES tour ?

Dave_G
08-31-2004, 10:50 AM
I would like to go to one of these gigs if I could afford it, I would enjoy it a lot.

Dave

ForeverAutumn
08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
I would like to go to one of these gigs if I could afford it, I would enjoy it a lot.

Dave

Stop spending so much money on your Musical Box fanclub membership. Then you'll be able to afford the ticket. :D

Dave_G
08-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Ooooh, seeing those pictures of the Lamb shows makes me drool!

Dave

MasterCylinder
09-02-2004, 06:28 AM
This is the setlist copied from the Dream Theater website...............this list of songs was played at the show in Jersey on August 27th...........my date is September 13th in Albuquerque................pumped !

Set List:
Overture (edited orchestra-only intro tape)
1. About to Crash
2. Learning to Live
3. Trial of Tears
4. Machine Messiah (excerpt) (Yes)
5. Stream of Consciousness
6. The Spirit Carries On
7. Solitary Shell
8. About to Crash (reprise)
9. Losing Time/Grand Finale

The YES website has a screwed-up page right now associated with current concert reviews..................however I am hearing that the biggest highlights are the energy from Howe and Wakeman.........the big hits so far are CTTE & AWAKEN.

Rycher
09-02-2004, 06:57 AM
I found the setlist from DT's last few nights opening for YES. Even though the tour-segment is part of the TRAIN OF THOUGHT tour, I was surprised to learn that only one song is from that album.......and it is an instrumental (STREAM OF CONCIOUSNESS).

The setlist had one song from IMAGES AND WORDS, one song from FALLING INTO INFINITY, one song from SCENES FROM A MEMORY and almost the entire 2nd disc from 6DIT...........I'll love it if they play the same list (since they are known to mix it up from day to day) but I was simply surprised at their selection of music to play.

Anybody out there seen the DT/YES tour ?

Ahhhhh....a fellow Dream Theater fan - Howdy!!! Not to often you run into DT fans, as they have zero radio play - but then again you already know that. Do you frequent the Mike Portnoy forum? That is the DEFINITIVE DT info board - much more so than the DT board. Great place to hang and meet other fans.

Dave_G
09-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Most reviews on the Yes site are from grumpy old Yes devotees who seem to in general care less about Dream Theatre.

I've never seen Dream Theatre in person but have seen 3 dvd's and they are quite talented fellas. That Portnoy cat can drum pretty good, and that cat on guitar, he's pretty good too. Like a lot of people, I don't like that cat on lead vocal, and the Bass is good too and of course old whats-his-name on keys does a good job.

I wish they would do a symphonic rock prog album and get a little away from the thrash/metal influence, as their cd's tend to get real repetitive real quick (for me, mind you) but watching them live is a different story.

Dave

MasterCylinder
09-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Rycher..........thanks for the tip.........I'll check that site.

Dave.........I've always thought that DT tries to sell to fans that range from YES to FLOYD to METALLICA...................hence, they can sound like all 3 at times.

Rycher
09-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Most reviews on the Yes site are from grumpy old Yes devotees who seem to in general care less about Dream Theatre.

I've never seen Dream Theatre in person but have seen 3 dvd's and they are quite talented fellas. That Portnoy cat can drum pretty good, and that cat on guitar, he's pretty good too. Like a lot of people, I don't like that cat on lead vocal, and the Bass is good too and of course old whats-his-name on keys does a good job.

I wish they would do a symphonic rock prog album and get a little away from the thrash/metal influence, as their cd's tend to get real repetitive real quick (for me, mind you) but watching them live is a different story.

Dave

Prog/rock album you ask? Metroplois pt. 2: Scenes from a memory. A concept prog album about love, life, death, and the afterlife. This is Dream Theater at their finest - you don't know DT until you've heard/seen this show.

ForeverAutumn
09-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Ahhhhh....a fellow Dream Theater fan - Howdy!!! Not to often you run into DT fans, as they have zero radio play - but then again you already know that. Do you frequent the Mike Portnoy forum? That is the DEFINITIVE DT info board - much more so than the DT board. Great place to hang and meet other fans.

Hey Rycher. Welcome. You'll find a few DT fans here. And a lot of LaBrie bashing (not from me, mind you). Thanks for the tip on the Portnoy board. I'll check that out when I have time.

Prog/rock album you ask? Metroplois pt. 2: Scenes from a memory. A concept prog album about love, life, death, and the afterlife. This is Dream Theater at their finest - you don't know DT until you've heard/seen this show.

I agree. Dave have you seen this DVD? It's fantastic. Shows the concert and tells the story through a few video clips. Petrucci is stellar. We watched the DVD with a friend who I just recently turned on to DT. He watched, stunned and amazed that they could all just play that hard for that long without any breaks. Awesome disk. Although, I certainly wouldn't call it Symphonic.

Rycher
09-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey Rycher. Welcome. You'll find a few DT fans here. And a lot of LaBrie bashing (not from me, mind you). Thanks for the tip on the Portnoy board. I'll check that out when I have time.

I agree. Dave have you seen this DVD? It's fantastic. Shows the concert and tells the story through a few video clips. Petrucci is stellar. We watched the DVD with a friend who I just recently turned on to DT. He watched, stunned and amazed that they could all just play that hard for that long without any breaks. Awesome disk. Although, I certainly wouldn't call it Symphonic.

Hey, nice to meet you guys. I've been into DT since they were known as Majesty. I've met them several times - very cool guys. BTW, it seems you are a Jeff Wayne fan too. War of the Worlds is a great CD - especially Forever Autumn.

ForeverAutumn
09-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Hey, nice to meet you guys. I've been into DT since they were known as Majesty. I've met them several times - very cool guys. BTW, it seems you are a Jeff Wayne fan too. War of the Worlds is a great CD - especially Forever Autumn.

There were several events leading to my moniker. But yes, the Justin Hayward song is definately a fave and had a lot to do with choosing my name. Stick around Rycher. Sounds like you'll fit right in. We need more prog talk around here. :)

Javier
09-02-2004, 03:53 PM
september 22 Monterrey Mex just 110 miles south of me i can't hardly wait to see yes performing with wakeman. I'll report then.

MasterCylinder
09-03-2004, 05:00 AM
I see Monterrey is the last stop on the tour.............usually a big party afterwards.

Good luck.

BarryL
09-03-2004, 05:07 AM

Have you heard this one? I never knew it existed when it came out. I'd like to give it a listen. War of the Worlds was certainly impressive. Julie Covington's duet with Phil Lynott was a real highlite for me. Ooooowahhh.