$899 for tv tell me what to get ;) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $899 for tv tell me what to get ;)

Z3r0
08-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Hey im looking for a 30" widescreen hdtv costing no more than 899 any suggestions?

N. Abstentia
08-30-2004, 09:17 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1065080865004&skuId=6100006&productCategoryId=cat03002&type=product

woodman
08-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey im looking for a 30" widescreen hdtv costing no more than 899 any suggestions?

Sorry fella - you're not in a good position here to get your money's worth! Also, N.Abstentia's link is to a set that I wouldn't touch at any price! Add to that the fact that will exceed your stated budget, since it lists for $899 to which you have to add sales tax - PLUS an extended warranty since Sony doesn't see fit to stand behind their product for more than 90 days! Of course, at the price level you're looking at for the type of set you want, the warranty is gonna be piss-poor no matter which brand you choose.

My suggestion is that you wait a bit until your budget increases by a few hundred. Any set that you might find in the marketplace at your stated budget of $899 will be a risky proposition in my view, and I have more actual experience with TV sets than any other half-dozen members at this board (or anywhere else).

N. Abstentia
08-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Way to go Captain Bringdown!

I also noticed sets by JVC, Philips, Zenith, and RCA under his price range so it's not so impossible.

But I agree, in that price range I probably wouldn't bother trying to find a widescreen.

woodman
08-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Way to go Captain Bringdown!

I also noticed sets by JVC, Philips, Zenith, and RCA under his price range so it's not so impossible.

But I agree, in that price range I probably wouldn't bother trying to find a widescreen.

My dear Mr. Abstentia:
The poor lad must be given the truth, which in today's TV marketplace isn't very pretty. Yet the mfgs. have been successful in not letting on that they've been surreptitiously reducing warranty coverage over the past decade or so whilst (they hoped) nobody was paying any attention. It was one of the many ways that they pursued to lower prices while continually giving us "more". More features - better performance - more capabilities - new and exciting technological developments ... it goes on and on. All of this in direct contradiction to the inflationary pressures that impact virtually everything else that we buy.

Philips, JVC, Zenith, RCA? All are brands that I would not sink any of my money into ... period. There are just too damned many corners that have been cut. Without looking at the specifics, I'd bet my last quid on the fact that all of those brands only sport a 90 day warranty - just like Sony. It's my opinion that any company that makes products that they represent to the buying public as good values, should sure as hell build those products sufficiently well that they can warranty them for at least a year. Otherwise, they're guilt of perpetrating some sort of a fraud IMO.

It makes me shudder in horror to see and hear the public constantly wanting more and more and better and better ... AND at ever lower pricing! Poor fools haven't a clue that what they're asking for, they're likely to get - and it's definitely not in their best interests. Cheaper and cheaper - although it has a nice ring to it, is NOT always a good thing. TV sets today are a classic example of that fact.

Z3r0
08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Well my friend... dont think i can get a good tv for 899? How bout a 30" hdtv widescreen toshiba? 1 year parts/labor 2year picture tube.... Markdown from 1499

N. Abstentia
08-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Well I haven't bought a TV in over 10 years. My last purchase was a 46" Zenith RPTV that works just as good today as it did the day I bought it. That's saying something for a TV that averages 30 hours a week at least! It has everything I need...one S-video input. Needless to say, I've been very happy with my Zenith.

However, my next TV will be a projector. I'd have to spend over $3000 to get a TV set that I would be nearly happy with, and I'd rather just get a $1500 projector as I've always wanted one. It will be in my theater room (when it gets built here soon) and will not be an everyday TV.

Why am I typing all this? Hell I don't know. Just figured I'd share.

So would he be better off spending his $899 on a better quality non-widescreen TV?

woodman
08-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Well my friend... dont think i can get a good tv for 899? How bout a 30" hdtv widescreen toshiba? 1 year parts/labor 2year picture tube.... Markdown from 1499

You lucked out this time ... go for it, dude. Toshiba is one of my two favorite brands, and with any luck at all, will serve you faithfully for a decent span of time. What you have found is a different sort of animal altogether than the sets that have been discussed here - none of which I'd risk my money on. Congrats on your "find".

woodman
08-30-2004, 04:59 PM
So would he be better off spending his $899 on a better quality non-widescreen TV?

No. His options as I see them are:

1. get the 30" widescreen Toshiba for $899, or
2. save around $400 by getting a 36" analog set (which will give him a slightly larger image when viewing DVDs than a 30" 16:9 set) and live with that one 'til his finances improve.

Congrats to you for your decision to go to front projection ... that's where I'm headed also (if I can stay alive long enough).