Local talent is a pleasant surprise! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Local talent is a pleasant surprise!

ForeverAutumn
08-30-2004, 04:57 AM
So we're out for dinner with another couple last night, to a restaurant that we frequent. We walk in and they've got live music, which we weren't expecting as they've never had that before.

At first it was kind of annoying as we picked this particular restaurant because it's quiet and we can talk without yelling. Anyway, as we're forced to yell over this kid, we realize that he's actually really good. He played mostly Bob Dylan covers but threw in a few originals here and there. Well, the originals blew me away. Picture a combination of Bob Dylan and Jack Johnson. Towards the end of his last set he mentions that he has a CD that he's selling for $10. So we decide to pick it up, if for no other reason to support some local talent.

I'm listening to it this morning and it's really quite good. His name is Mark Feldman. He plays all the instruments and all vocals on the disk, and uses acid drum loops for the percussion. The sound quality is much better than I expected it to be. This is a professional production. For $10, this was a great find!

I hope to see Mark playing some better venues soon! It's gotta suck, playing a restaurant where no-one really wants to hear you. On the other hand, you just never know who's gonna pick up a CD and become a fan. :)

Finch Platte
08-30-2004, 01:23 PM
The sound quality is much better than I expected it to be. This is a professional production.

...if you have pre-recorded or machine-generated drums, that recording will prolly sound spectacular without really trying. Drums are a pita to record well.

Sounds interesting- was it Blood On The Tracks-era Dylan? :p

fp

Ex Lion Tamer
08-31-2004, 05:29 AM
Had a somewhat similar experience when I saw Modest Mouse earlier this month. The opening act was a local Montreal band named Wolf Parade, that really kicked a**. The set-up was somewhat idiosyncratic; no bass player, two keyboard players, a very impressive drummer, and a guitarist frontman whom I couldn't stop watching. He has a great voice and great stage presence. He looked a little like Shane McGowan (Pogues) and had a lot of his intensity too. I bought their home made CD-ep that was on sale at the show, and though the production is very amateurish, the drums especially lacking any kind of the power that were evident live - speaking to Finche's point - I've still been enjoying it quite a bit. I've since discovered that they have appeared with Modest Mouse on several shows on their tour and their debut album is to be produced by Isaac Brock. Should be a band to keep an eye on.

nobody
08-31-2004, 06:49 AM
I've always been a fan of local music. Especially if you're a rock fan, I'd almost always prefer a local band playing in a sweaty little bar with a few drinks than some big name show where you can't get up close and personal. Something about a bar and close quarters that makes it feel more like rock 'n' roll to me.

I've got a couple favorites around here, but you do end up having to sit through some lame sets once in a while. But, considering I can see some really good bands for under 10 bucks, the occasional clunker set is worth it. Besides, heckling can be fun, and as long as I got a couple friends to drink with a little bad music never hurt anybody.