streem ht-808. Anyone have thoughts? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : streem ht-808. Anyone have thoughts?

Jottle
08-29-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm extremely interested in these speakers. (streemspeakers.com) However, it seems that I won't be able to afford anything more than $600. I want a full 5.1 package with tower speakers. Should I just avoid these altogether or are they a decent purchase?

thanks

royphil345
08-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Haven't heard these yet, but have been very tempted to try them myself. One thing I've noticed is that I tend to like the sound of any speaker with dual 8" woofers and a silk dome tweeter. Everyone who buys them seems very pleased from the reviews here and the feedbacks for people who sell them on e-Bay.

...Which brings me to the main reason I posted (having not heard the speakers). You can get these on e-Bay from Station Street for $586.00 delivered in the US or Canada. They have a 100% positive feedback rating on over 1500 transactions which is pretty rare.

Guess the decision to buy them or not depends on what your goals are and how good the rest of your system is. Judging by the design, my guess is that these are decent sounding, easy to listen to speakers that probably lack the clarity, detail, and dynamics of higher-end stuff. Probably a good match for a modest home theater receiver.

Right now I'm using a pair of Sony SS-MF750H with a matching center and surrounds. These actually sound fantastic for the price (Can get the two towers, center, and surrounds for less than $450.00 online). Best Buy sold out of these speakers nationwide very quickly after a good rating by Consumer Reports (but you can still find them online). Very, very good sound for speakers at this price (reasonably open sound, not at all harsh). Might be worth a look, especially if you're looking for a set of speakers to hold you over until you can afford better. Even if you sold the whole set for $200.00 later, you wouldn't be out much $. I suspect the Streem would sound a little livlier due to the silk dome vs. paper dome in the Sonys but having not heard them.......

A system with Athena AS-F2 mains might also be within your price range. Best Buy has some great deals going on the Athena speakers right now. Alot of people really like these speakers for the price. I really wasn't crazy about them. Thought they had really good bass and detail for the price, but actually thought the overall balance of the lowly Sonys was better and would be easier to live with in the long run. To be fair, I only heard the Athenas in a Best Buy setup (very thin speaker wire, source has to run through their overly complicated demo system) and I'm sure they would have sounded much better at home. Build quality seems very nice on these.

Make sure you give us your opinion of the Streems if you try them!!! Very curious about them.