Are Dual car subs any good [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are Dual car subs any good

JeffBrecklin
08-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi i found out what i was looking for all along and that is better bass. I found some dual car subs in the best buy ad they are 1100 watts and i was wondering if they are any good they are 130.00

This Guy
08-29-2004, 03:41 PM
No. First you don't want car subs in your home. Second, car subs have lower impediances most likely not suitable for home use. Third, car subs are designed to make use of a cars cabin gain, a typical room will not reinforce it nearly as much as a car, resulting in it not being very loud and not going very low. Fourth, subs don't have watts, amplifiers feed them watts. Fifth, that is a MAX rating for two subs, I doubt either of them could handle much more than 150 watts thermally. Sixth, subwoofer power handling is highly dependent on what box you put them in, because they are likely to fail mechanically, which is usually much before their thermal limit. Seventh, how would you power these? How would you cross it over to your main speakers? They don't have a built in amp.

N. Abstentia
08-29-2004, 03:52 PM
This Guy is right. You don't want to use car subs in the house, and Dual subs are junk even in the car. Power handling is actually more like 100 watts, nothing near 1100.

You can get a good powered sub for the house for under $500 if that's what you need.