no-man// a question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : no-man// a question

3-LockBox
08-29-2004, 02:42 PM
After visiting AMG's page on Porcupine Tree (my latest obcession after Yes), I noticed that they(AMG) rave about <b>no-man</b>, a group which Steve Wilson is also a member. How do the two projects compare? Are any of you into <b>no-man</b>?

Give a full and comprehensive reply

Thank you,

3LB; always searching, delving, probing (musically...that is)

NP: Signify

BarryL
08-29-2004, 03:16 PM
After visiting AMG's page on Porcupine Tree (my latest obcession after Yes), I noticed that they(AMG) rave about <b>no-man</b>, a group which Steve Wilson is also a member. How do the two projects compare? Are any of you into <b>no-man</b>?

Give a full and comprehensive reply

Thank you,

3LB; always searching, delving, probing (musically...that is)

NP: Signify

If you're looking for another PT, then No-Man is not for you. No-Man is like a Mark Hollis solo album. Mark Hollis was the singer from Talk Talk. The songs move very slowly with musical and atmospheric support from Steve Wilson. Wilson's work is outstanding. The songs themselves are interesting and uncompicated. The lyrics are pretty good and of high quality, and most carry a simple and nice melody. I highly recoment their most recent CD, the name of which I can't remember and it's not listed on AMG (I have it at the office, and right now I'm at home). Returning Jesus is also very good, but I don't think it is as good as the one released last year. Those are the only two I have.

I repeat, don't expect Porcupine Tree. This is not rock music but more like folk song set to layers of guitar, piano and electronic sounds and music to form the songs.

ForeverAutumn
08-29-2004, 06:30 PM
I think that the name of the disk that Barry is trying to remember is Together We're Stranger.

I agree with Barry's comments. No-Man is much lighter than what you may be used to from Steve Wilson. And take this advice...it matters what kind of rig you listen to this on. The first time I listened it was on my car speakers and I hated both of the disks mentioned. Then I listened to them on my home system and the music came alive. I was hearing all kinds of stuff that didn't come out in my car. I quite enjoy them now. In fact thanks for bringing this up 3LB. It's been a long time since I've listened to these albums. I'm going to pull them off the shelf for this weeks listening enjoyment.

Dusty Chalk
08-29-2004, 07:25 PM
No-Man is an ambient-ish side project, it doesn't sound anything like Porcupine Tree -- except, perhaps, maybe a portion of "Moonloop" and/or Metanoia. That said, it's very good if you're into that sort of thing. I actually didn't like Together We're Stranger as much as the earlier stuff. Recommend: Returning Jesus. Barry actually hit it right on the head when he likened it to Mark Hollis/Talk Talk.

(wanders off to find a discography (http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=462# discography))

OMG, they sure do have a lot of albums out! Well, the ones I have are Flowermouth, Loveblows and Lovecries -- A Confession, Heaven Taste, Housewives Hooked on Heroin (recommend) and Flowermix (qualified recommendation -- it's a remix album, so if you're into that, then I can recommend).

Finch Platte
08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
The first time I listened it was on my car speakers and I hated both of the disks mentioned. Then I listened to them on my home system and the music came alive. I was hearing all kinds of stuff that didn't come out in my car.

Get rid of the Yugo.

fp

unleasHell
08-30-2004, 04:01 PM
I have the No-Man "Returning Jesus" and don't care for it, it reminds me of a bad version of Dead Bees on a Cake.

If you are looking for sumthing more like PT, check out Pineapple Thief: Sleeps with Fishes...