Does anybody have these speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have these speakers?

nice_tie36
08-29-2004, 01:12 PM
I was at the jbl audio website and came across the K2 series and my heart just jumped out of my chest when I saw the price for them. I mean 9-14,000 dollars for one speaker. Now for a pair yeah I'd pay that much if I could afford it but for one speaker. Thats just outrageous. The weight for the speakers is unbeliveable too. 180-200 lbs per speaker. Just imagine shiping and handling cost. If you have one of these speakers or more then one tell me what you think of them. If the people who have these speakers like them, I might just have to hear them for myself and if I like them, then I got to start a savings for them. I just want to know what people think of these speakers because the price is just unbeliveable. Thanks.

RGA
08-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Firstly price and sound have zero to do with anything and neither does weight. It CAN have an influence - but just yesterday I heard a set of $1099.00 JBLs that were beat by a set of $499.00 Athena's.

And in the big scheme the JBL's are hardly what would be considered the most expensive speakers - The top Audio Note will run you $99,000.00US per pair and are two way standmount speakers (they are working on a better one).

Kharma makes a $1million dollar set of speakers.

Jimmy C
08-30-2004, 04:09 AM
...of a Klipschshorn Cornerhorn on steriods.

Yeah, this is one of JBL's extreme efforts, you won't find them in the local Circuit City. I actually like listening to R&R on the lower JBLs - for $500, you get a fat floorstander that has a decent amount of slam. Try that with a $1000 audiophile mini-monitor!

I have to admit... I'm curious too! There is a review on ecoustics.com if you feel like reading a bit about them.

Oh, and RGA... the Kharmas also come with 30,000 watts of amplification AND the 30,000 cf underground dwelling (IIRC). Hell, now it seems like a bargain ;^)

pelly3s
08-30-2004, 04:48 AM
The K2's are a continuation of a project started years ago. they are amazing, but hey thats my opinion and not everyone agrees with my opinion. Jbl has always made monster speakers like that. Starting back with the Paragon which from is birth in the late 50's was rated the number one speaker in the world up until the early 80's when they stopped production. Not too many places in the world actually stock those speakers. If you are close to a JBL showroom then you can hear them but thats about it.

gonefishin
08-30-2004, 03:00 PM
I was at the jbl audio website and came across the K2 series and my heart just jumped out of my chest when I saw the price for them. I mean 9-14,000 dollars for one speaker. Now for a pair yeah I'd pay that much if I could afford it but for one speaker. Thats just outrageous. The weight for the speakers is unbeliveable too. 180-200 lbs per speaker. Just imagine shiping and handling cost. If you have one of these speakers or more then one tell me what you think of them. If the people who have these speakers like them, I might just have to hear them for myself and if I like them, then I got to start a savings for them. I just want to know what people think of these speakers because the price is just unbeliveable. Thanks.

Hi nicetie,

Have I heard'em? nope :(

But doesn't 180-200lbs sound just a bit light? ;) Where do ya live?

take care,
dan

Woochifer
08-30-2004, 06:37 PM
You're in the world of reference speakers, where the conventional rules about price and practicality are thrown out the window in the name of performance at all cost. I don't even think the JBL K2 is their most outrageous creation, just the most expensive model that a consumer can purchase. If you want more examples of how this part of the audio world operates, look up some other flagship models like the B&W Nautilus, Dynaudio Evidence Master, Wilson Audio X-1, etc. The Dynaudio is the only reference speaker in that class that I've heard recently, and it's definitely one of the best I've ever heard. Whether or not it's worth $85,000 is a different question altogether.

Another one of my favorite reference speakers from years ago was Infinity's IRS reference speaker, which is a modular design that practically takes up a whole house. I've heard it at trade shows and it definitely has the sound quality to match its overwhelming heft. Here's what those speakers look like (the audio system in this picture weighs about 2,500 lbs. according to the owner) ...

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/503/26446Front_-_Screen_Up.jpg

filecat13
09-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Another one of my favorite reference speakers from years ago was Infinity's IRS reference speaker, which is a modular design that practically takes up a whole house. I've heard it at trade shows and it definitely has the sound quality to match its overwhelming heft. Here's what those speakers look like (the audio system in this picture weighs about 2,500 lbs. according to the owner) ...

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/503/26446Front_-_Screen_Up.jpg

I've seen/heard those. Yes, they're amazing, though I can't imagine putting them in the environment pictured with some of the equipment and furnishings there. Yet, to each his own, and who can say what's Nirvana to another?

filecat13
09-06-2004, 08:54 AM
I've lusted after the K2 S9800 speakers. I"ll need to be making a lot more money before I buy them, though.

Some people judge them rather harshly based on their published specs, quoting the specs from other speakers that they've actually heard as proof that less expensive speakers are better, or that JBL really doesn't make a true high end speaker. I've seen such remarks made in these forums; however, none of the detractors ever claims to have heard the K2 line.

Hearing is believing, though, and the precision, power, and presence of these speakers are truly awesome. One of my favorite speakers is the Revel Ultima Salon, which costs a bit more than the K2, but I'd take the K2 first if I could have either. Why? Because I've heard them both, and I subjectively liked the sound of the K2 more. Yes, the room matters, the amp matters, the source matters, etc., but I liked the K2 better. Period.

For some reason, I tend to like the design philosophy of two or three way systems more than multiple driver systems. There are fewer "voices" with fewer speakers. So the K2 with what is essentially a two way design (yes I know there's a second tweeter) keeps everything simple for me and my ears. The seven drivers in the Revel and the multiple drivers in other high end speakers aren't as satisfying to me.