Budget bookshelves for stereo listening [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Budget bookshelves for stereo listening

rebelsage
12-08-2003, 01:12 AM
I'm in the market for budget bookshelf speakers which I plan to wall-mount in the lanai. I have an old sub (PSB Subsonic II) that I can use with them. I reckon the room acoustics are on the "bright" side, hence I'm inclined towards "warm" speakers. I listen mostly to jazz and easy listening music. Any suggestions?

Bryan
12-08-2003, 07:29 AM
What is your budget? How big is the room? Off the top of my head, some of the ones that come to mind are the nOrh Prism 3.0 and Ascend Acoustics CBM-170. Others of greater quality and cost are the Magnepan MMG and ACI Emerald.

rebelsage
12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
I have the Axiom M2i's for surrounds though I have listened to it as mains. Accurate sounding but a tad bright at times. I'm looking for cheaper alternatives than the M2i's $255 price a pair. Thanks.

poneal
12-08-2003, 08:25 PM
I assume that your lanai is partially enclosed. If it is exposed to outside temperatures and humidity then I would definitely get a speaker that was designed for outdoor use. I'm afraid that I haven't ever bought outdoor speakers, but I have read about them in passing so know that they exist. Just out of curosity, are you from Hawaii? The only place i have ever heard people use lanai was in Hawaii since lanai is an hawaiian island. Just curious.

yakkosmurf
12-12-2003, 10:02 AM
I picked up a set of NHT Super Zeros off of Ebay last week for $120. I listened to them for the first time last night and was very impressed. They are a little crisp, but they sounded great with the Norah Jones SACD.

They are a Christmas present, so my wife made me put them back in the box until then. I was only allowed to verify that they worked.

headknocker
12-12-2003, 11:07 AM
You're in luck! There are 3-4 sets of Aura LSB-527M bookshelves on ebay right now. They feature a Linaeum monopole tweeter and "5 Peerless mid. The tweeter is sweet, particularily with your music preferences....it really shines on jazz,acoustic,Big Band,etc. Also, Aura's Line Source speakers are on the warm side of neutral so they sound like the type of speaker that you're looking for. I own quite a few Aura speakers and they offer quite a bit of bang for the buck. I think the LSB-527M's retailed for $180 but you can probably snag a pair for $50(or even less, shipping included) from one of those ebay auctions. No, they're not my auctions...I'm just an Aura fan. BTW, check the reviews on this site for the 527M's if you're still skeptical. Good Luck.

headknocker
12-13-2003, 07:42 AM
BUMP

Don't miss the chance to snag one of those pairs of Aura LSB-527M's on ebay. I forgot to mention this in my earlier post but there are several strong reviews(from Sound and Vision and Home Theater mags) on Aura's Line Source speakers at www.dillonacoustics.com

They don't make these speakers anymore so the only way to get them is to scour ebay. I'm not saying the 527M's are world-beaters but they're a pretty sweet little package. If you team them with a nice sub(like your PSB) then I think you're gonna be pleasantly surprised. Hell, for less than $50(shipping included) I don't see how you could lose.

Let us know what you decided to go with. Good Luck.

rebelsage
12-18-2003, 02:03 AM
Finally settling on Monitor Audio Bronze 1's (70 wpc rms, 55hz-28khz, 88db). At $175/pair, it rocks: impressive bass for its size and warm mids. Compared them to Axiom Audio M2i's (use them for surrounds in HT). The M2i's have a more detailed and crisper sound, with less bass. With a sub, M2i's are better, IMO. But they do cost more at $255/pair.

headknocker
12-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Congrats! I have a pair of Michaura M55's which many people have claimed to be very similar to Axiom's bookshelves so I understand what you're saying about them. The mids and highs are very detailed and upfront on the Michaura's but the midbass is lacking. I had to do a lot of fiddling with the output and crossover point on my powered sub to achieve a pretty-decent blend. Like I said, the Aura LSB-527M's would've probably made you happy. The mids are definitely on the warm side of neutral and the Linaeum monopole tweeter is pretty sweet,particularily on the type of music that you would've been throwing at it. Also, the 5 1/4" midwoofer provides tight and punchy midbass...teamed with a decent sub and they become a very nice little package.