Kloss & CSW [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kloss & CSW

tommc
08-28-2004, 07:31 PM
I own a pair of CSW Towers that I purchased because I loved the Model Six bookshelves that I had used for 9 years. I like a lot of Henry Kloss' products, but I've been told my speakers are crap. Now, I know I like them, but I'm interested in hearing anyone else's opinion about CSW (are their products in the same category as Bose?) and Kloss' products throughout his career. Any opinions?

Geoffcin
08-29-2004, 04:09 AM
I own a pair of CSW Towers that I purchased because I loved the Model Six bookshelves that I had used for 9 years. I like a lot of Henry Kloss' products, but I've been told my speakers are crap. Now, I know I like them, but I'm interested in hearing anyone else's opinion about CSW (are their products in the same category as Bose?) and Kloss' products throughout his career. Any opinions?

If someone told you your speakers are "crap". You've obviously been listening to them for several years and like the way they sound. I own CSW products, and also older Kloss products, and I like them. I even bought my T500's after they got a not-so-wonderful review from Stereophile mag. (I happen to usually disagree with the particular reviewer). CSW is not going out of business any time soon because of "crap" reviews. On the contrary, a quick look at the reviews on THIS website (some of them mine) show that according to consumers, CSW products hold they own against many higher priced ones from other manufacturers.

topspeed
08-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Who are you going to believe, someone else's opinion or your own? Like Geoff, I like CSW and Kloss' designs. My dad has AR's around the house so when I wanted to buy him an HT system, CSW was an easy choice. IMO, they provide serious bang for the buck and I think most of the "haters" out there probably have either never heard them or they feel they are too commercial. Audiophiles are interesting in the sense that if a product is sells in huge quantities and/or is sold in large B&M's, it automatically disqualifies it from "audiophile" status, whatever that is. Are there better speakers? Absolutely. However, CSW's will shame many, many higher priced offerings and will definitely hold their own.

Trust your own ears. Unless the people that tell you CSW is "crap" have your exact hearing, preferences, room acoustics, and front end, they are full of crap.

matt39
08-29-2004, 01:29 PM
You like them so you know they ain't crap! Cambridge Soundworks has produced good,solid products at affordable prices since they came into existence. As far as comparing them to Bose, I feel that Bose is usually overpriced whereas CSW gives very good value on the dollar. Henry Kloss is considered a legend in speaker design and justifiably so. Every company he worked with produced great speakers while he was with them. I heard several of his products and still own one and I think his reputation for excellence is well deserved.

N. Abstentia
08-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Cambridge speakers are okay, definitely not crap.

They are also not in the same class as Bose, which is a good thing. Bose is in the lowest class there is, right down there with the $39 5.1 systems you get at lumber stores. Be glad they are nothing like Bose.