New here. Need help. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New here. Need help.

nice_tie36
08-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi. I'm new here just to let everybody know. I need some help with what everything does like the equalizer, processer, and all that kind of stuff. I'm not new to the audio world. But I am kind of new. I came across this web site trying to find how all the stuff works, why I need it, how it helps etc. Right now I just have a sony home theater system that I like alot but I want something nicer because I live in a apartment and am curantly buying a big house and I would like to hear the music when I'm cleaning up stairs or working. Could you guys please help me with this. I need to know like how the amplifier works, the processer, reciver, equalizer, how it the stuff helps, just stuff like that. I know car audio but this stuff is new. All the help and input is wanted. Thanks.

This Guy
08-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Since this question is kind of general, I'm just gonna give you this link.

http://www.soundbytes-nw.com/html/dictionary_of_audio_terms.html

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

-Joey

matt39
08-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Sounds like you need a basic primer in home audio. As This Guy says, your question is so general as to be almost impossible to answer without writing a book. If you did a little research you could probably get more specific. Since you have some car audio background you may know more than you realize since a lot of the basic principles are the same. One easy way to get some basic info would be to go to a bookstore like Borders and pick up a copy of What Hi Fi. Each month this UK magazine has a section in the middle which discusses the basics of stereo and home theater. It's simple, basic and pretty informative. Also do some browsing here and at some of the other sites like audioholics and audiogon. One set of threads here that could give you some info is in the "What makes a good ....." threads posted by Bill B on various forums here. Some of the discussions in these (when you get past the kidding around) can be pretty informative. Anyway glad to have you here and I hope this helps a little.

nice_tie36
08-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Is there any good books out there that you guys recommend? I will look but I don't want to buy a book that isn't any helpful. Thanks.

matt39
08-30-2004, 03:37 PM
You might consider The Complete Guide to High-End Audio by Robert Harley. Borders stocks it in my area. I would browse this book first though as it is quite expensive. It does, however, cover audio and home theater pretty completely and can be read by beginners as well as experienced listeners. Some libraries also carry it so you may not have to buy. I'm sure there are other sources which some other members can mention but this is the main one I know. To tell the truth I've gotten more practical info from magazines like What Hi Fi and Sensible Sound. The Complete Guide is a lot like a text book and I found it pretty dry reading.