Hey Woodman Thanks.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Woodman Thanks....

poneal
08-28-2004, 04:50 PM
I suppose you remember that my TV went on the blink (buring electronics inside). I was going to rent one and you advised against it. I actually went to rent-a-center to rent one but they didn't have what I wanted so I went to Conns. Started out with a 800 30" Toshiba HDTV and ended up with a 50" $2600 LCD Hitachi Rear Projector model 50V500A. I must say I was a little leary of LCD but now that I have it I'm really pleased with the color reproduction (much better than RPTV). The picture is much sharper and clearer. I'm impressed.

I just wanted to thank you for all your help in selecting a TV. I believe that Hitachi was on your list of good TV's. So thanks again. Paul.

woodman
08-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Paul:
So, did you rent or did you buy the set ... your post didn't make that very clear?

Anyway, thanks for your considerate "thank you" ... I only wish that everyone that comes on here and asks questions and/or seeks advice would understand that we who take the time to answer these queries don't get paid for doing so, but we do expect acknowledgement of some sort that we took the time to try and help someone.

Yes, Hitachi is one of my top choices for a set in today's marketplace - glad you're enjoying it.

cam
08-28-2004, 06:59 PM
But Woodman, I don't remember you ever recommending a projection LCD over a CRT RPTV.

kexodusc
08-29-2004, 05:39 AM
I only wish that everyone that comes on here and asks questions and/or seeks advice would understand that we who take the time to answer these queries don't get paid for doing so, but we do expect acknowledgement of some sort that we took the time to try and help someone.

Well, I've never started a whole "thank you" thread but I've always been a appreciative of the advice you've put forth. Especially re: Yamaha receivers.
You don't seem post so much here anymore, I can only assume you're keeping yourself busy???
I've always thought Audioreview should adopt the rating system to rate the quality of replies...something simple, like a 1, 2, 3 star system...but I guess that would probably just lead to more flame wars and hurt feelings.
Nice to know you haven't followed some of the other AR.com regulars to parts unknown...we're losing years of experience here every week it seems!

kpzbee
08-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, I've never started a whole "thank you" thread but I've always been a appreciative of the advice you've put forth. Especially re: Yamaha receivers.
You don't seem post so much here anymore, I can only assume you're keeping yourself busy???
I've always thought Audioreview should adopt the rating system to rate the quality of replies...something simple, like a 1, 2, 3 star system...but I guess that would probably just lead to more flame wars and hurt feelings.
Nice to know you haven't followed some of the other AR.com regulars to parts unknown...we're losing years of experience here every week it seems!

The same goes for me. I thought I included a thank you to woodman in my other post but I see I forgot. I would also like the say Thank You to woodman for taking the time to answer my questions & giving of your advise. I really do appreceate it! So far, I'm really happy with my set. :D

poneal
08-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Been busy building my speaker boxes. I bought it at Conns on a 12 month interest free credit. If I don't payoff in 12 months then I have up to 36 months to pay it off. It took me a day to figure out why my DVD picture quality was sh*t. I had bought some component video connectors and used that and didnt switch the DVD from S-Video to Component Video LOL. DVD's look much better than standard cable. My next purchase is to get one of those progressive scan DVDs. I broke out the sound and vision disk and tuned up the video. The sharpness, brightness, and contrast were way high. The color was almost on. Hopefully that little step will save on the bulb life. Well, thanks again. Also, looks like I may have started something here LOL. Paul.

woodman
08-29-2004, 08:59 PM
But Woodman, I don't remember you ever recommending a projection LCD over a CRT RPTV.

Of course you don't cam - 'cause I never did. Why? Simply because most pleas for advice at these boards involves seeking the "biggest bang for the buck" which makes for the following list (in order of fulfilling the quest):

1. front projection (LCD or DLP) from the likes of InFocus, Epson, Sanyo, BenQ. etc.
2. CRT-based RPTV
3. LCD-based RPTV
4. DLP-based RPTV
5. direct-view CRT
6. plasma

That in essence is my position, and always has been. Clear?