Finally...new record shelves [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally...new record shelves

nobody
08-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Well, my old record shelves got destroyed in a recent move and I've been keeping them in boxes all over the floor. Finally made some new shelves, which I think are a fairly interesting design. They're really simple and solid, and built to hold nothing but vinyl. Here's a pic...

I figure one of these should hold about 1,200 records. I just wanted to test out the design the first time, but since I'm happy with it, I'll be making another one soon.

hifitommy
08-30-2004, 05:26 AM
unless those rods are VERY strong, i can see them sagging. also, there is nothing in the way of cross bracing in the back which may lead to severe leaning and possible failure of the structure.

LPs are fairly heavy and thats not to be taken LIGHTLY. ;^)

i hope you have some solutions for this. one would be narrower shelves that hold fewer reclrds, perhaps half as wide.

nobody
08-30-2004, 06:57 AM
Yup, I'm going to be reinforcing it with another vertical piece of wood in the center, dividing the shelves into 1.5 foor segments, and bracing it with another piece at the top in the back. Hopefully should be able to finish it up next week.

uncooked
08-31-2004, 03:14 PM
you said shoudl be able to hold 1200 a peice and then you say you are going to be making another one soon!!! how much vinyl do you got?

hifitommy
08-31-2004, 06:07 PM
i have about 4-5k and growing, pus about 1.5k CDs, lots of cassettes, open reel tapes, vhs, and DVDs. some of us at AA are a bit manic in that direction, musicmike, elizabeth, and others.