Where to start with The Flower Kings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with The Flower Kings

kexodusc
08-28-2004, 04:27 AM
A friend of mine was playing some mixed selection on his car MiniDisc player yesterday...a bunch of Flower Kings stuff...some of it sounded pretty good to my ears...so I figure maybe my earlier impressions of these guys a few years back was a bit harsh.

Now, I need help deciding which album to start with. He suggested "Space Revolver"...looking for more input...thanks.
(Oh, not interested in "Best of" compilations if they're available...I like solid albums better).

Troy
08-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Yeah, Space Revolver is one of my favorites too.

The general consensus with most fans of the band is Retropolis or the S/T one.

Avoid the albums after Space Revolver.

3-LockBox
08-28-2004, 11:22 AM
and what I hear on it is a mixed bag. It wasn't enough to convert me into a collector.

If you can find a copy, try lead guitarist/singer Roine Stolt's solo album, <i>The Flower King</i>, which pre-dates the group and IMHO is a notch above anything I've heard from <b>The Flower Kings</b>, since it seems to be devoid of any of the new-age trappings of the current group's musical style.

Dave_G
08-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Ask one of us for a TFK Komp!

I have one ready to go for you if you like.

Troy made me one a few years ago that I still enjoy, and it has superb artwork, I will use his artwork if he is cool with that.

Dave

kexodusc
08-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Hmmm...Appreciate the offer.
Got to say though, I've always felt that if a band can't make a decent, flowing album that's playable from beginning to end, they don't deserve my attention.
Generally prog is known for their focus on entire albums, something I really appreciate. I know these guys are hit and miss with alot of people like Spock's Beard etc but they must have a definitive album by now.

progfan
08-28-2004, 03:35 PM
The Flower Kings? Don't bother! ;)

But if you must, I think Retropolis is the most "flowing" FK disc of them all. Stardust We Are has some good stuff as well. Count me in with those who feel there's too much filler and not enough killer on your typical FLower Kings outing. Yes, each disc has some good stuff, but they have a singer now-can't think of his name-that's just really cloying (Hasse?). And they always have to throw in a bunch of sappy hippy dippy pop tunes that just spoil the mood for me. Anyway, TFK are definitely a ymmv type of band.

kexodusc
08-29-2004, 05:02 AM
Yeah, that was my first impression of them until I heard this "compilation" in the car...maybe that was all of their A material?
I'm not much of a Spocks Beard fan either for the same reasons...I listen to them everynow and then.

I use to be that way about Symphony X...just another prog-metal band with a bad singer, but then I saw their live show and they converted me.

BarryL
08-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Hmmm...Appreciate the offer.
Got to say though, I've always felt that if a band can't make a decent, flowing album that's playable from beginning to end, they don't deserve my attention.
Generally prog is known for their focus on entire albums, something I really appreciate. I know these guys are hit and miss with alot of people like Spock's Beard etc but they must have a definitive album by now.

If you're looking for a consistent flowing album from the Flower Kings, your're out of luck. The band's writing is too diverse. Stolt is a prolific machine, and the band hasn't been able to create a consistent focus throughout an entire album, IMO. They can put together a great extended song, but then it's like they get bored with the concept, and move their next song in a completely different direction. I suggest going the comp route with this band.

Space Revolver and Stardust We Are are both good, but not consistent right through. Try their "best of" CD Scanning the Greenhouse, if it's available still. Their new album Adam & Eve seems to be spotty as well, although there is some great stuff there on first listen. The first 19 minute track is good, as is the nine minute Vampire tune. I haven't heard this all the way through yet, so I don't know what the last few tracks are like.

Their album from 2002, Unfolding the Future is spotty, but the first 30 minute epic is, IMO, the best thing they've ever done, called The Truth Will Set You Free. It's upbeat, and reminds me of something Yes might have done. The singer even sounds like Anderson to me at times. 30 minutes is practically an album by old-time standards. I say, buy 'em, and edit them yourself to CDR. That's the best way to go with this band. They're just too creative to hold themselves to one style, and not everything they do will suite everyone's tastes. But please, don't avoid them for that reason.