Getting all SACD sound Denon2200 thru Sony DA4ES [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting all SACD sound Denon2200 thru Sony DA4ES

marc
08-27-2004, 06:29 AM
I did go with the Denon 2200 and it's awesome.

A couple of questions ... Went to the ol' Hastings Entertainment superstore and picked up a DVD-A and a couple of SACDs.

1. The DVD-A seems to play normally if I play it as I always play, say, a movie DVD, ie. I get surround sound and, of course, the on-screen picture/info. But nothing comes out of the center channel. Is that normal?

2. SACDs sound awesome. Of course I have to manually change the DA4ES to multichannel input to hear anything. But I can deal with setting up the remote later. Only thing is I get NO sound from the surround (ie., my 5.1 side/rear speakers). I have tried more than one song on more than one SACD and none makes any sound in the side surrounds. Is there a setting I'm missing? I get the side sound in all other functions, ie. DVD movies, digital cable TV, DVD-Audio, so I know it's not a speaker/connection issue. Oh, and the SACDs also make no sound in the center channel either.

N. Abstentia
08-27-2004, 09:20 AM
1) You also have to switch to the multi-channel input for DVD-A. If you're not doing that, you're not hearing DVD-A.

2) Since you have to use the multi channel input for SACD and DVD-A, the receivers settings has no effect on your speakers. All the large/small on/off is done with the Denon. Make sure you have it setup correctly (center channel ON), and make sure it's set to play SACD layer on SACD's, and make sure it's set to 5.1 and not 2.0. Sounds like it's playing the CD layer or playing the SACD layer in 2 channel.

You also didn't mention the specific SACD, but make sure it's actually a 5.1 SACD and not a stereo SACD.

sy_lu
08-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Only thing is I get NO sound from the surround (ie., my 5.1 side/rear speakers). I have tried more than one song on more than one SACD and none makes any sound in the side surrounds. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Assuming your SACD do have the multi ch., track, you need to select MULTI on your DVD player. The default may be set to 2ch.

marc
08-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Assuming your SACD do have the multi ch., track, you need to select MULTI on your DVD player. The default may be set to 2ch.

Ok, progress ... actually when I went through the 2200's onscreen setup everything appeared to be as needed. Surround speakers, on, subwoofer, yes, etc. multichannel selected.

I played a different DVD-A and got full sound including center channel. I might've gotten mixed up with all my button-pushing because DVD-A played great surround on multichannel but did nothing on digital/decode.

I didn't have time (over lunch) to check an SACD. So you say there must be a setting on Denon's audio setup to specify SACD=multichannel? I will check on that.

sy_lu
08-27-2004, 06:30 PM
I didn't have time (over lunch) to check an SACD. So you say there must be a setting on Denon's audio setup to specify SACD=multichannel? I will check on that.

Yes, under the audio setup screen your will find setup for SACD. If it is set for stereo, your play back will default to 2 ch. This setup is different from audio ch. setup

marc
08-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, under the audio setup screen your will find setup for SACD. If it is set for stereo, your play back will default to 2 ch. This setup is different from audio ch. setup

Doh (wiping egg from face). Y'all got it right the first time. The first two SACDs I played were SACD stereo!

I put in the third, which was a surround SACD and got sound from all channels .. of course :)