Is there anything that can help with setting up the TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything that can help with setting up the TV?

ryjam282
08-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Color, contrast, things of that nature?

Is there anything out there that I can get that helps with the calibration for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

hifimaster
08-27-2004, 10:15 AM
There are several DVD's available : Digital Video Essentials, Avia, Sound and Vision, etc. These will have test patterns for video as well as a section for calibrating the audio levels in a HT system (highly reccomended, you will need a sound pressure level meter commonly found at Radio Shack). Keep reading these and other forums and you will find a wealth of information. A properly calibrated display and audio will provide an experience closer to what was intended by the director.

Good luck,
James

Hairsonfire
08-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Color, contrast, things of that nature?

Is there anything out there that I can get that helps with the calibration for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. It's just that if you have been around this forum for awhile it's amazing to see this kind of question. Why yes, there is an answer and here it is . . . The Video Essentials DVD or the AVIA guide to Home Theater by Ovation. Just do a search and you will have all the info you desire.

ryjam282
08-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Sorry, I didn't do a search first. But, thanks for the input.

uncooked
08-27-2004, 11:59 AM
finding nemo........

ive used many times, in the extras on the disk there is a thx optimizer for sound and video, and it works great, and you get a movie maybe not the best but its still a movie. definetely a good movie for surround and video testing.

bass sweeps, in phase, out phase, comparing every speaker. and the video one helps the picture quality on every tv ive used it on.

This Guy
08-27-2004, 12:26 PM
pretty much every THX movie has these features

uncooked
08-27-2004, 01:07 PM
not all though, its the only 1 i own with it, pirattes of the caribbean doesnt and star wars doesnt. i think there the only thx movies ive got.

This Guy
08-27-2004, 01:26 PM
my star wars does. I forget which one it was though. Fight club's got it. I think it's just the new ones, like 2001 and up or something.

Dale M
08-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Speaking of the DVD's that come with the calibration stuff on them..
Are they anywhere as good as the Avia and Video essentials DVD
Thanks
Dale M

kpzbee
08-27-2004, 05:20 PM
I have the Terminator II Extreme DVD & it has it. After reading this thread, I tried it on my new RPTV & only had to make 2 minor adjustments. Big screen & home theater is heaven on earth! :D :D

uncooked
08-27-2004, 11:42 PM
dam right, takes forever to tune a big screen RPTV perfect though, ive had mine a year and am still tweaking every once in awhile.