Yamaha parameters [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha parameters

zapr
12-07-2003, 04:44 PM
I would be very interested to hear how some of you guys have the sound field parameters set.Room size,delay,liveness etc.I realize room acoustics will have a lot to do with it.I played with mine a bit and was amazed at how much it changed the sound.Anyone?

kexodusc
12-12-2003, 06:39 AM
You are indeed correct, Yamaha's (or anybody's) parameters can have a huge impact. If I can fault Yamaha for anything it's the units of measurement they use for their settings. For example, the delay adjustments are measured in miliseconds instead of feet. Not a big deal, but the average user might not find this terribly user friendly. Also Room Size...the default is 1.0, but what does that mean? What dimensions is this setting reproducing?
This forces the user to actually experiment and rely on his/her own preference (not a bad thing at all) but again, it be easier for some to be told what a source SHOULD sound like.
I have discovered through some quick mathematics that adjusting the delays by 1 ms is approximately the same as adjusting a speakers delay by 1 foot. So if your rears are closer than your mains to the viewing are by 1 foot, increase the delay to the rears (or lower it to the mains) by 1 ms.
Liveliness is an interesting setting to play with. Usually I leave it alone, but occasionally, especially while listening to live recordings you can really improve the sound by increasing or decreasing it.
Does anyone know of a good source or guide that would assist Yammie owners in making parameter adjustments?

zapr
12-13-2003, 01:14 PM
When it comes to room size,the default being 1.0,I don't think it means anything other than a gauge to follow so you can experiment one point at a time and being able to go back to the one you like best.I leave mine set at default for the movie surround modes as well as the delay.For the music surround,I've altered the room size a couple of points below.I experimented and found playing with room size is a lot like adjusting an eq. as I found changes to mid tones as well as bass tones from the listening position.No one can tell you what it should sound like because of room acoustics, speakers, etc.All that being different for everyone......I find liveliness brings the sound out into the room and seems to add certain dynamics.I enjoy it alot,it's fun to play with especially when the wife and kids are out of the house.My neighbours know when they're out. That's for sure. Have fun!