Speaker placement question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement question

nightflier
08-26-2004, 11:13 AM
I know not everyopne here is a fan of bi/dipolar speakers, but for those who use them:

I have been using Axiom QS4 bi-directional (actually Axiom refers to these as quadpolar) speakers behind my listening position. This was not recommended by Axiom's tech support and frankly, the envelopment of the sound was never quite what I had hoped when watching movies, even when I upped the levels for the rear speakers.

Well, because of some rearranging, I now have the opportunity to move them to the sides. It will involve some drilling and running wire, so I'm wondering if I should even bother. Has anyone tried both positions and noticed a marked difference?

As a side note, I also could purchase a second set of speakers for a full 7.1 setup (right now I'm only using 5.1), but that would be more expensive. Any thoughts?

kexodusc
08-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Hmmm, never used the Axiom's but I did have Studio ADP-470's for awhile...they're your typical dipolars, not quadpolar or anything. I'm in the category that can't stand bi/di/tri/quad/hepta/dodecapolars, but I did notice a remarkable improvement using them as rears in my "7.1" setup as opposed to side surrounds. It really filled out the back hole quite nicely, so much so that when I went back to 5.1 for awhile, the large gap behind me started to bug me. I much preferred the dipolars behind than off the sides, but I got such a good deal on a used set of Studio 20's I never did go with the ADP's.

FWIW: My room is relatively large, and quite long from front to back so the 2 extra speakers really helped me...depending how close your back wall is you might not benefit at all by adding a 6th or 7th speaker.