Rocket Tykes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Tykes

motiram
08-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Rocket Tykes 5.1 Home Theater with Kenwood VRS 7100 digital home theater receiver
av123.com is selling whole system for 500$.

How good is this system. Seems like I can only buy it online from av123.com. I am looking for small speakers with good sound quality. B & W, Bose, Klipsch, Boston, Def Tech speakers, all sounded similar to me.
Is there a way to try Rocket tykes at any store? Or shud I buy them, try it, and return if I dont like them?
Can anyone suggest better ones in 1000$ price, since I cant try RocketTykes, unless I buy it.

Bryan
08-26-2004, 08:20 AM
You could ask around at the AV123 forum and at Audioenvy.com to see if anyone in your area has them and is willing to let you audition them. Could go B-stock on the Tykes for $199 plus shipping and get a Yamaha or equivalent receiver for $200 or so.

46minaudio
08-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Rocket Tykes 5.1 Home Theater with Kenwood VRS 7100 digital home theater receiver
av123.com is selling whole system for 500$.

How good is this system. Seems like I can only buy it online from av123.com. I am looking for small speakers with good sound quality. B & W, Bose, Klipsch, Boston, Def Tech speakers, all sounded similar to me.
Is there a way to try Rocket tykes at any store? Or shud I buy them, try it, and return if I dont like them?
Can anyone suggest better ones in 1000$ price, since I cant try RocketTykes, unless I buy it.
Here you go...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806301325&skuId=5335693&productCategoryId=cat03043&type=product
$450 for 6..Then get you a HSU VTF 2 sub for $399..$750 for all..The problem with small speakers such as the tykes is, unless you have a receiver with an adjustable xover(most are fixed at 80 to 90HZ) you will have a big hole from 80 to 200HZ"?" where the sats start..HSU has addressed this problem by sending this information to the center Channel..However give a listen to the Athena ASB1s great bang for the buck system that these small sats cannot compete with..

Mathew J
08-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Here you go...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806301325&skuId=5335693&productCategoryId=cat03043&type=product
$450 for 6..Then get you a HSU VTF 2 sub for $399..$750 for all..The problem with small speakers such as the tykes is, unless you have a receiver with an adjustable xover(most are fixed at 80 to 90HZ) you will have a big hole from 80 to 200HZ"?" where the sats start..HSU has addressed this problem by sending this information to the center Channel..However give a listen to the Athena ASB1s great bang for the buck system that these small sats cannot compete with..

Not really a comparable alternative as these are 5 1/2" bookshelf speakers and the guy is looking at micro systems...I never understand why when people come looking for small systems they are always recommended considerably larger speakers, one would think if they wanted bookshelves that they would have been looking at them in the first place.

in regards to the OP, unfortuantely what I have heard and read is that virutally all micro systems will be plagued by the same problems and thus all of them ultimately will sound the same or pretty darn close to one another...not to mention they are all about the same exact price or considerably more than others (generally all $500-$700, whereas the Energy Take's, Mirage Omni's and Anthony Gallo's are much more upwards of 1k for a set with Sub.) and the HSU ventriloquists are very sensitive to positioning to get the "full" effect.

The tykes supposedly are nice, however they are only available through direct order so unless you know someone who has one then auditioning will not be easy. You can always buy them, try them and send them back if you dont like as they allow for a 30 day eval...however you will have to eat the shipping.

In the few months I have spent researching Micro systems I have found that ALL of them have their specific drawbacks and benefits, it really comes down to a matter of personal taste and where you are willing to compromise...personally I am going to try and listen to every one I can before making my decision however as it stands now I really like the Bose AM6, the Polk 6700, and the Boston Micro set however those are the three least recommended by "audiophiles". I still have to look/listen to Infinity, Energy, Mirage, HSU, JBL, Kenwood, Yamaha, and many others before making the call, but as long as I hear them all and decide for myself then I will be satisfied with the decision....

good luck.