Second hand speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Second hand speakers?

johndory
08-26-2004, 05:18 AM
Hi everyone
I am new to home audio and am yet to purchase my first Audio setup. I am a poor struggling University student and have limited funds to spend on speakers/amps. So I was thinking about purchasing some second hand speakers that people have traded-in at speciality home-audio retailers. Or is this a bad idea, and should I just go for some cheaper speakers?
What about A/V recievers? are they ok to buy second hand?

Thanks
johndory

piece-it pete
08-26-2004, 06:29 AM
Howdy Johndory!

Buying secondhand is a GREAT idea, IMO, be it speaks or rec'rs or sources.

If you post budget, preference (music or HT, percentage?) there is a lot of folks here to point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

Pete

Worf101
08-26-2004, 06:47 AM
that were purchased "new" and I've been doing music and HT for about 5 years now. Ebay, Audiogon and the local rags will do you just fine. Just make sure you do your research as to what a speaker's "really worth" before you buy.

Da Worfster :D

kexodusc
08-26-2004, 06:48 AM
With a bit of caution it's quite often an excellent way to go. Especially with electronics. Tons of people think that if it's newer or has a silver faceplate, it's better. Capitalize on their eagerness to waste money!
But do be careful if you buy on ebay or online places. Although most people are reasonably honest, there are a few bad apples out there. I've had great success with ebay and audiogon.com.

filecat13
08-26-2004, 12:52 PM
I'll add my endorsement for buying pre-owned equipment. I've had great success saving thousands of dollars over the years.

With used equipment, someone else already took the big hit on depreciation and did the initial break in and durability testing for you. If a piece of equipment made it through the first year or so and still works like new, it'll likely last a long, long time.

However, if the equipment looks well worn or damaged, stay away from it.

I did get burned once on eBay to the tune of $1000, but I threatened to sue the guy in his local court and eventually got the money back. It was cheaper for him to pay me back than to go to court, pay all my costs, and possibly go to jail. I'd've prosecuted him right to the end, and he knew it.