Sub $250 Reccomendations? (yet another) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub $250 Reccomendations? (yet another)

impossibleblue2
08-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Hello,
I am rather new at posting on forums I don't frequent. I saw this gem when searching for audio reviews (what else?). It looks like quite a helpful place. So, ill give it a go.

Today, I went to Circuit City in need of a decent sounding mini or micro system. Since none of them really fit the sound quality, or expandibility (for later) I am looking for, I have decided to go with an inexpensive set of bookshelfs, hopefully under $250. My parents have a set of Yamaha NS-333s, which sound pretty good, but they lack definition in the low end, and become boomy when pushed. Hopefully, the speakers are to be driven with a Denon DRA-295 (critique please). Also, any tower reccomendations are gladly welcome. Thank you for your help!

topspeed
08-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Towers at this price point are going to be severely compromised. I'd avoid them and look towards a decent set of standmounts. At your price point, I don't think you can do better than the Epos ELS3. Give 'em an audition and see if they fit the bill.

RGA
08-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Look for the Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 - quality construction excellent sound for reasonable money http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond8.htm

ToddB
08-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Just to give you another option, if you listen to rock music try and demo the Paradigm Titan. While it also has a boosted bass response, I don't find it to be too distracting.

impossibleblue2
08-26-2004, 10:33 AM
In the interest of comparison, how do you guys think these (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4163_35135,00.html) would sound. Also, I'd like to hear some opinions on Fluance, as they look rather promising.

Nevertheless, I think the Epos's look like my cup o' tea. I listen to lots of Jazz and other bass guitar heavy music, which is apparently one of their strongest points. I do realize that I'm not going to be knocking any pictures off the wall, because they are stand-mounts.

Thanks again, all, for the help.

poneal
08-26-2004, 12:20 PM
If you or someone you know can build some speaker boxes then the AR.Com under the learn link is a well reviewed stereophile speaker. You can purchase the parts from madisound for $175 a pair without cabinets and $340 with cabinets. I'm currently building 5 of these. Should be done in about 2-3 weeks. Many small recording studios use these a nearfield monitors because of there sound quality.

impossibleblue2
08-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Sorry, but no one answered my question. How would the Pioneer S-H453F-K Floorstanders (link in previous post) sound? There is a smashing deal on them at my local CC. Thanks again.

matt39
08-28-2004, 10:15 AM
I can't really answer your question about the Pioneer speakers but since they are on display at your local CC why not demo them yourself and see what you think? As a point of comparison listen to some Polk and Infinty speakers and get an idea of the relative quality. In your price range you might consider Athena Technology AS-B2 although I don't know if they'll suit your taste. While I have no direct experience with the Epos or Wharfedale speakers they both have been reviewed very well and seem like solid recommendations to me. You asked for some input on the DRA-295 receiver and I can say that I think it is a very solid unit. I listened to it in several stores while looking for speakers and liked it quite a bit. It has a lot of features and a solid amp section. In one store the salesman demoed Polk Lsi 9's with the Denon and I was very impressed with how well this modestly powered receiver drove the Polks which are 4 ohm impedance. The sound was nice and full and loud to boot. I think this receiver would be fine for the types of speakers you are considering and a very solid value. Hope this helps and good luck.