Bipolar speaker placement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar speaker placement

nightflier
08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I know not everyone here likes di/bipolar speakers, but to those who do use them:

I am rearranging my TV room and have the opportunity to change the location of my Axiom QS-4 bipolar speakers (actually quad-polar, according to Axiom). They were originally located behind the listening position and I know this wasn't recommended but I had no choice at the time. That said, I have never been very satisfied with the surround sound. Now I have the opportunity to move them to the sides. Since this will involve running cable, I was wondering if it's even worth the trouble. Has anyone tried both speaker positions?

Another option is to purchase two more QS-4's and have speakers in both locations; the receiver supports this, but this is more money than I had planned on spending.

Tons of Fun
08-26-2004, 02:17 AM
In the course of several shows, I have placed Mordaunt Short bipoles/dipoles in various permiatations of side and back for 5 and 7 channel systems. I much prefer mounting them on the sides just out from a rear wall as it really gives the soundfield a kick in the proverbial. This is what I do at home and is what I'd recommend.
All in my honest opinion of course :).