Receiver/DVD combo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver/DVD combo

gamberkm
08-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Hello, I started the thread earlier "Bose Alternative." I really appreciate all of the great advise.

My in-laws (for whom I'm searching for a good Bose alternative) are being quite frustrating. After the advise of the this board, I strongly suggested they should check out the Rocket Tyke system w/ Kenwood receiver for $500 (www.av123.com). Problem is, the Kenwood doesn't have a built in DVD player and this, for whatever reason, is an absolute necessity for them, and I can't convince them otherwise.

Ok, so I don't want them to waste their money on Bose. Because this integrated DVD player is so important to them, it looks like they're stuck with a HTIB, unless we can find a stand-alone integrated DVD/receiver. The only thing I've found so far that fits the bill is a JVC. Do you know of any others?

This also leads me to my next concern: component inputs. They have HDTV, and it seems a component input on the receiver would be highly desireable. The Bose doesn't have this, neither do most HTIB's (except Samsung), or the JVC. How important do you think this feature is?

And, are any of these HTIB's worth the money (speakers have to be small)? What about buying a cheap Samsung HTIB (for the DVD/receiver w/ component input) and upgrading the speakers?

Or should I just say screw it and let them waste their money on the Bose?