Ella Guru not Metal Guru [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ella Guru not Metal Guru

Mike
08-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Just picked up a fabulous album from a friend by a new band from Liverpool called Ella Guru –The First Album, which definitely makes my top ten albums of the year so far.

They are a 7 piece band featuring strings, cornet, ukulele, double bass, brushed percussion and pedal-steel guitar so you know straight away they ain’t loud and have a definite alt-country/folk/Americana feel to them. “Lush is one word to describe Ella Guru's sound, and I'm not talking about that crappy 90's indie band Lush either. Lush like Sigur Ros. A bit of Songs Ohia and a tiny dash of Godspeed You Black Emperor” wrote somebody on Amazon UK which pretty much sums them up.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
08-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Haven't heard the album but I did see a little writeup/interview/pic in the last Uncut in the almost famous section along with Secret Machines, The Concretes and AC Newman. Kind of funny about the name, most bands that choose a name from a past band or album or song usually do so to indicate where one of their influences might be, while here they wanted to make music the opposite of the discordance on <i>Trout Mask Replica</i>. Cool name, though. The article lists 8 of them, but the picture only shows 7 and says one is missing. Probably never get a release over here and the import price looks pretty steep. Have to wait and see.......

Mike
08-26-2004, 08:16 AM
Probably never get a release over here and the import price looks pretty steep. Have to wait and see.......

If your'e interested pm me with your new address and I'll chuck one over, I've got something else I planned to send anyway.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
08-26-2004, 08:23 AM
If your'e interested pm me with your new address and I'll chuck one over...
Actually I'm kind of in limbo right now, staying with a friend while searching for new job. I'll PM you soon with more details. Thanks ;)

Dusty Chalk
08-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey! Lush were good!