Question from no-brainer about turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question from no-brainer about turntable

Moopy
08-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi there,

I have an old Zenith integrated stereo system with 8 track/cassette/receiver/turntable all in one unit. I believe its a IS4040 model. Anyway, everything seems to work great on it, except the turntable. Funny thing....I can't pull the switch ON to get the wheel/plate to turn.....I can't even turn it by hand. Is it possible there is a screw or something holding it in place? The guy I bought it from said it was in great working condition. That he had it in storage for many years. Obviously I'm not trained in this field, but have become quite enthused with vintage audio equipment lately and knowing I have alot to learn, though someone out there could possibly tell me how in the world is this thing supposed to work? lol.

Thanks in advance, :confused:

markw
08-24-2004, 03:33 PM
If it isn't, then the first thing I'd try is to unplug the unit and try to see what's going on underneath it. Give that a try.

Garrardman
08-25-2004, 05:35 AM
If it's an old Garrard/BSR/VOM/Zenith type auto turntable or changer then it's highly likely that years worth of storage have hardened the lubrication grease on the mechanism and seized everything solid.
If this has happened then the only answer is a strip-down, clean and rebuild usign oil instead of grease.

Adam.

Moopy
08-25-2004, 01:24 PM
I was so afraid somebody was going to say that. :) Here goes nothing. Thank you kindly! :eek: