Energy Bookshelf Speakers, C-1 or C-3? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy Bookshelf Speakers, C-1 or C-3?

kev1244
08-24-2004, 12:08 PM
I am running a Denon receiver with 2 Paradigms (bookshelf). My plan is to move the Paradigms to the back for the surround sound and purchase 2 Energys for the front.
At this point undecided between the C-1 and the C-3.

Based on the fact that I live in a twin home, and have a small budget, what might you all think I should do? Do the C-3 out perform the C-1's so much thats its a no brainer to get the C-3's?

So far I have gotten the following quote:
C-1 $229
C-3 $400

I still, eventually need to get a Subwofer and Center. (but I don't have the money right now)

Chaces are I'll have whatever I buy for YEARS AND YEARS.

Thanks, you suggestion are greatly appriciated.
Kevin.

kexodusc
08-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, the C-3's are considered better mostly because of their bass response...They probably image a bit better too, while the tweeter in the C-1's sounds a bit less harsh. It's a bit of a tradeoff.

If you are planning on using these more for HT than for 2-channel stereo playback (music) than I would feel very confident recommending the C-1's provided you get a decent sub eventually.
If you have a fairly even split between HT and music, you may wish to consider other speakers.
I cannot say that the C-3's are worth $170 more than the C-1's...not even close, but if you don't have a sub, be prepared for weak bass response until you get one. Of course, with $170 extra in your pocket, it'll be much sooner.
Good luck.

kev1244
08-25-2004, 04:41 AM
Thank you for the suggestion.

I tend to use my system for both Music and HT, Probably 50/50.
With that in mind, would you recommend a different speaker all together?
Or what Sub would you recommend to complement the C-1's?

Maybe you know of a great setup aside from what I had in mind (considering price).

I am very much a beginner at all this Audio equipment. I appriciate your advice.

Thanks You,
Kevin.

kexodusc
08-25-2004, 05:14 AM
Thank you for the suggestion.

I tend to use my system for both Music and HT, Probably 50/50.
With that in mind, would you recommend a different speaker all together?
Or what Sub would you recommend to complement the C-1's?

Maybe you know of a great setup aside from what I had in mind (considering price).

I am very much a beginner at all this Audio equipment. I appriciate your advice.

Thanks You,
Kevin.

You really should go out and listen to as many speakers within your budget as reasonably possible to get a feel for what's out there, what's good, what's bad, and most importantly, WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU!!!
That being said, I'm actually quite impressed with Energy's Connoisseiur line. I found the C-1's very competent and smooth in the midrange and high ends. They lack bass. At $230, I think they're a good bargain. I see you already have Paradigm's, which models?

Trying to keep in your budget I can't think of another bookshelf at $230 which I've personally heard that I can say outperforms the C-1's hands down. There are quite a few options to go with for a more full-range speaker speaker, but in exchange for bass you'll give up midrange smoothness. Not exactly a great tradeoff

I would recommend you try Athena's AS-B2's (roughly $200) or Polk Audio's RTi4's ($230-$250) as well, but I honestly believe that the C-1's will outperform either.

The bass isn't terrible in the C-1s, just limited to the high 40's. For a sub, without knowing your budget it's hard for me to recommend, but HSU Research, SVS, and Velodyne are good places to start. If you aren't oppose to building a subwoofer kit (which isn't that hard at all), you can find a really great one at
www.partsexpress.com
I built the 12" MKIII sub for my parents ($540), and it easily rivals 2 $700-$900 subwoofers I've owned from Paradigm and Velodyne...Definitely a way better value. (though the cabinet can be a bit ugly if you choose to buy there's and not build your own). I'm told their 10" kit is every bit as impressive. You can save a ton ($150-$200) if you can build your own cabinet or have someone do it for you. It comes with a parametric eq, an invaluable tool.

If you use a subwoofer for the bass, the C-1's will be fine and hard to beat for the money.

kev1244
08-25-2004, 05:57 AM
Thanks again.
You've been a great help

K

RGA
08-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Honestly, Do the best you can to chose EITHER music OR movies in your budget. I full well understand you're in a budget constraint - but you are trying to get a do it all system for a beer budget and all you'll end up getting IMO is a glorified home theater in a box(ie HTiB but louder). You're not the only one - been there myself and ten years later i kick myself at all the upgrades and money spent on mediocrity could have been put to a far better music system and then a totally separate home theater set-up.

I would save your money for start. Let's take your $400.00 budget for the C3. Yes it's basically a C1 but with more bass. Think about that for a minute. Basically The C3 is a $270.00 speaker but has more bass just like the C9 - when it comes to the quality of the midrange and treble the C9 is still a $270 loudspeaker. There is nothing wrong with this because most of the competition is in the same boat. I personally think you have pretty good taste in finding the Energy's even if by accident they're one of the best in their price range.

The C3 and the C5 and the C9 are good quality do it alls. I am likening them to all in one printers - they do everything Home theater and music but do neither particularly well.

I would start any stereo system with speakers first and plan a budget for a system around the speakers. And save until you have a speaker you know you could actually live with long term - preferably one that does not need to rely upon a subwoofer.(I'm talking music only). If it does all music well it will do home theater just as well.

Now, I am pretty biased to my own speakers I have to admit. But I am also cautious about overpraising a speaker for the most part. I will be posting several little capsule reviews on this site next week of several speakers ranging from $500.00 to over $16,000.00 next week here(I'm going out of town for a couple of days).

But I'll give you heads up on two less expensive speakers that I would make sure I listened to before I bought any of the usual suspects with big corporations behnnd them. The first one is the Dynaudio Audience 42 but it is probably double your budget so skip that one unless you see it used. The other one is the Audio Note AX-Two which retails fro $549.00US - Which is beyond your budget admittedly - but I think you would agree that your $149.00 won't be better spent. I A/Bed the speaker against the B&W 705 and I literally laughed out loud "you have to be freaking kidding. The amplifier was a modestly priced Rotel Integrated amplifier and a rather good Teac cd player.

What it shows is how much money you spend does not necessarily translate in superior results - after all you could spend way more for a Bose and not get anything close to the Energy C3. Audio Note is very difficult to find given that there are just 25 or so dealers in North America - 9 I think are in Canada.

But for $549.00US the AX-Two is a scratch your head stonkingly good speaker (I could not believe how much right it was doing especially on piano work hitting deep registers with authority and not sounding thin or largely eliminating the midrange for pyrotechnics from home theater first speaker makers)

--- I was sitting there for about 10 minutes trying to figure out a way to buy them and what I could use them for. But since I have two systems both with speakers already I can't do it...But I would not mind buying 3 sets and use them for home theater and still attain very good music. Audio Note treats them like a utility speaker not talking them up at all -- They are easier to drive than most at 90db 8ohms ie the AX Two is tube amp friendly and pretty cheap.

I would suggest you look up the dealer locator see if they're in your area - and then find out what other speakers the dealer carries. Phone em up and get a direct comparison of the AX two and any other brand's $1kUS Standmount. You may be scratching your head.

Sorry for the long post but I rarely find cheap speakers to get excited about. The Dane 42 is the other but many would not find it cheap - even $549.00US is not chicken feed but really I could live with that speaker - I could not say that for the vast majority of speakers under a $1k.

Good luck in your hunt. Two great channels is better than 5 lousy ones.

08-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Dont know bout you folks but to me the C-1s are better dynamicaly or maybe it something else. BTW, if you can make your way to Canada, we looking at around the same price...in Canadian Dollars.