4.2 system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 system

Silent Warrior
08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
i was wondering how do i make 4.2 system for my computer by joining two 2.1 systems? i already have 2.1 but i want to add up something more and thinking to get better sound

markw
08-24-2004, 04:21 AM
You don't have a 2.1 system. You have a 2 channel sub/sat system with a shared bass module. If you were to add another one just like that one, you will still have a 2 channel system, but now it will be running another 2 channel sub/sat system in parallel.

Ultilmately, you still have a 2 channel system. If that's ok with you, then simply hook up another set in parallel if your sound cardcan handle it.

E-Stat
08-24-2004, 02:25 PM
i was wondering how do i make 4.2 system for my computer by joining two 2.1 systems? i already have 2.1 but i want to add up something more and thinking to get better sound
Mark is correct that 5.1 systems have a dedicated LFE (low frequency effects) channel whereas stereo systems do not.

I believe there can be beneficial effects to simply doubling up certain loudspeakers. The Double Advent speaker system still has quite a following going back thirty years. I'd love to hear the results of doubling the Monsoon planars used with my computer. Unfortunately, I would need to fabricate some sort of new frame since I would stack them vertically.

rw

Silent Warrior
08-25-2004, 06:31 AM
got it...so its still going to be 2 channel system...rather than that shall i get ProMedia 4.2 system from Klipsch? how much does that cost and is there any site i can order online?

E-Stat
08-25-2004, 12:11 PM
got it...so its still going to be 2 channel system...rather than that shall i get ProMedia 4.2 system from Klipsch? how much does that cost and is there any site i can order online?
Unless you are watching movies on your computer and have a 5.1 card, all you will ever get is a 2.0 system (aka stereo), perhaps duplicated with front and rear copies of the same information. If you want higher quality or more sound output, then I would lean towards simply a better 2.0 system.

According to the Klipsch website, the model 4.2 is "currently unavailable"

rw