interesting article on sibilance from rti [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : interesting article on sibilance from rti

hifitommy
08-23-2004, 05:00 PM
http://www.recordtech.com/prodsounds.htm

this came out of a discussion of sibilance on AA.

Smokey
08-23-2004, 07:54 PM
I still can not belive some folks out there talking about vinyls as a viable recording medium given that we already have SACD/DVD-audio capability. I still don't know why people want a format that is noisy, have low dynamic range, and will deteriorate further (by way of wear and tear) any time it is played. The vinyl format is dead and I say good riddance :)

Btw, the article mentioned that vinyl have 75 dB Dynamic Range. That is not correct. 50 dB DR is probably more like it :)

ToddB
08-24-2004, 01:35 AM
I knew there was a reason I didn't like vinyl.

:)

hifitommy
08-24-2004, 05:23 AM
I still can not belive some folks out there talking about vinyls as a viable recording medium given that we already have SACD/DVD-audio capability. I still don't know why people want a format that is noisy, have low dynamic range, and will deteriorate further (by way of wear and tear) any time it is played. The vinyl format is dead and I say good riddance :)

Btw, the article mentioned that vinyl have 75 dB Dynamic Range. That is not correct. 50 dB DR is probably more like it :)
if you had heard properly set up vinyl playback, you would understand CLEARLY why analog is still viable as a recording medium. yes, i HAVE embraced sacd and agree that it is the way of the future UNLIKE rbcd but LPs have a more involving sound than most digital.

and the dynamic range of 75db is very likely demonstrable. kevin gray is one of the foremost recording engineers and is as quick to point out the limitations of vinyl playback as he is the advantages.

sibilance is difficult to handle in the RECORDING business, not just on LP. if you cant stand the idea of LPs, stay with digital, and hopefully, sacd will become ubiquitous pure dsd recordings, once commonplace, will make it obvious that the redbook standard was fatally flawed all along.

gonefishin
08-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Hi smoke :)

While I'm not wanting to get into a pissing match of which format may be preferred by who. I would argue that many of the recordings today make the limited dynamic range of vinyl argument...a mute point.

While it may be true that redbook (regular CD), sacd and dvd-a all have capabilities which can provide a better dynamic range...few recordings take advantage of the increased dynamic range within any of the recording mediums. You can raise the ability to offer more and more dynamic range all you want...but if all you take advantage of (on a recording) is 20db, then adding more and more capability is really of no immediate value. Let me rephrase...it's really of no value to that specified recording...or other recordings not taking advantage of the large dynamic range within certain mediums. Not to mention the inability of many systems to couple the dynamics, within those recordings, to the room and to your ears.

Lower noise floor? Wow...there's really no contest there. Vinyl is noisy. However, many people seem to look beyond the noise in lp's for what they gain in space (width/depth) and body. Which is quite nice.

Myself, I just have trouble getting passed the noise within lp's...but perhaps some day I'll buy a good table???who knows. But until that time, I've got other audio things to start on...like a big system for my finished basement :) I'm also happy with the performance of my modified cd/sacd/dvd-a player. It not only offers good sound...but also convience.

While I'm not sure of what the extreme capabilities of vinyl are...when reading the article... I took the 75db range to mean the extreme limit of dynamic range that vinyl could offer. But at this extreme limit, there's a problem with providing trouble free listening at these extremes...the same as the response quoted. 7 Hz to 25kHz I read to be the extremes again...with certain problems that arise when trying to make a song that utilizes all of vinyls individual abilities. So, they have to actually work within certain constraints...that may be less dynamic range than the 75db that's possible...and a frequency response far less than the 7Hz to 25kHz theoretically possible.

Resident Loser
08-24-2004, 06:29 AM
...we agree on something!

Vinyl and the fact that digital was and is a flawed medium...

jimHJJ(...vinyl is final...)