Geofficin [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Geofficin

the hand of boredom
12-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Hey Mang,

I noticed from your signature that you have two subs; and at that, they are both 15'' Velodynes. Go on, son! That's the way to do it. I myself have two Servo 15s.

Just wondering what process you took to come to your final placements. Do you have your subs stacked? one beside the other? symmetricly placed on opposing sides of the room? asymmetric placement?

And what about calibration? One at a time or both?

I'd like to know how things went for you because I am going through the same thing right now.

THOB

Geoffcin
12-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Hi, and thanks. I've never had my own topic before.

I've found the Velodyne FSR-15 subs were pretty easy to setup, but I don't have them both setup now, as we're in the middle of a major remodeling project, and I've had to move all my audio gear. Right now I've only got one sub setup with the maggies. (all that will fit)! The good thing is that eventually when this is all done I'll have a dedicated AV room 16' X 22' with cathedral ceiling all to myself. I also intend on putting in a front projection TV with a 100" screen in the new room.

Before I moved everything I've had the subs setup inboard of the maggies about 5' apart center to center, and two feet off the back wall measured to the back of the sub. They fired directly into the room, and I calibrated them one at a time with my audio setup CD. After that I used the one remote to control them both. No problems ever! I'm going to set them up the same way in the new room, only probably 7' apart to keep the side wall distance the same. My old room was 14' X 19'.

the hand of boredom
12-08-2003, 09:05 AM
G,

With your subs placement in your previous room, was it just arbitrary or did you do the ol' get-down-on-your-knees dance with your subbies at the listening spot? Do you have any SPL readings of the frequency range?

You are doing well for yourself with your gear (and I'm just thinking about the two-channel system you've got). I had given the 3.6R an audition about two months ago, they were driven with all Cary gear at the dealer. Man, these things sounded pretty darn good. When the dealer told me they were $9K CDN, I told him I didn't like'em <i>that</i> much :P. But they were very transparent, very clean, and those cymbals were just so natural. Good selection!

Hopefully your pleasure room won't be too much longer. You must be just itchin' to get it complete. I know how you feel as we are waiting to get our basement done to set up our home theatre down there. Probably won't be done until the end of the month.

THOB

Geoffcin
12-08-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi THOB,

Thanks for the complement. I really do enjoy my audio equipment. From the first time I heard them I knew that I had to have a pair of the 3.6's

I guess I hit the sub setup right off the bat, as I really didn't have to move things around too much. I did try them back against the wall, but that produced an obvious node in the room. I think the speakers seemed to work best when they are set in the same plane. Something to do with timing of the wavefront. I've been told to put the subs a few inches forward of the maggies, and I might try that in the new room.

I cant give you exact measurements of the response in room. I can tell you that the subs do blend effortlessly with the maggies.

The real problem with the maggies is that they show EVERYTHING.

Some people accuse audiophiles of never being happy with their equipment, but it's more likely the case that the better the equipment, the more of the problems you can uncover. They just become obvious all of a sudden.

the hand of boredom
12-08-2003, 09:32 PM
G,

Did you move the sub drivers slightly ahead of the planars to make up for phase response differences? The Maggies would have some pretty quick and tight bass... maybe even too fast for two 15" sub drivers?

THOB

Geoffcin
12-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi THOB,`

That's exactly what I'm intending on doing!

With the crossovers set to 40hz, you cant even tell that the subs are on except when there a low note in the music. Even then there's no telling the difference between the bass from the velodynes, or the maggies.