Burnin' The Wailers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Burnin' The Wailers

skewiff
08-23-2004, 04:15 PM
2 cd set released in Sept will include extra tracks and a Concert recorded Live at Leeds on the second disc. This features the original band and was done in 1973, I had a chance to see this tour in my hometown Wolverhampton at a club called Club 67 held about maybe 200 souls and very scary place to go(in 69 to 75). Jamaicans with attitude, not the peace loving Rasta's
One of the greatest regrets in my life not going that night.
Burnin' is my fave. Wailers album.

Tony

Worf101
08-24-2004, 07:07 AM
I know how you feel. It's sad when "people and predjudice" prevent us from enjoying the wide diversity of life. Unlike you, I had tickets ot see Bob Marley and the Wailers in 78, but he fell ill and never made the concert. I was left with the dilemma of keeping tickets that would be worth much for nostalgia's sake Mr. Marley's last scheduled performance, or eating that month. The poor, broke college student chose to eat. Sorry you missed that performance....
and thanks for the information about the CD Set.

Da Worfster

Dave_G
08-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Well, I was lucky and got to see Bob on the Survival tour and it was something else. He seemed to be in a trance the whole gig and basically got the Fox Theatre moving and grooving real quick. All sorts of types of people there, cool, old, fat, ugly, young, stoned, sober, etc. It was awesome!

Then I got to see Peter Tosh too before he was killed, he was just as good as Bob and huffed huge spliffs the whole time.

Dave

nobody
08-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Yeah...great record. Never got to see Marley live, plenty of other reggae bands, but never had the chance to see Bob. Wish I had.

As much as I like Marley though, and I really do love his stuff. I think he does at times unfairly overshadow the rest of reggae music's many bright lights.

I can't count how many conversations I've heard that go something like...

"Yeah...I like reggae a lot."
"Cool...who do you like?"
"Well, I really like Bob Marley..."
"Me too, ever listen to Jimmy Cliff?
"not really"
"How about Peter Tosh?"
"no"
"Dennis Brown?"
"nope."
"Gregory Isaccs?"
"uh-uh."
"Black Uhuru?"
"Sounds kinda militant."
"anyone not named Bob Marley?"
"of course, I just can't remember their name right now."

I LOVE Bob Marley. It's just there is more to reggae than one man.
That being said, I think I'm gonna go home and spin Burnin' tonight.

-Jar-
08-25-2004, 03:11 AM
I haven't seen much live reggae in my life, except for several local Cleveland bands (I-Tal and First Light).

I did get to see Eek-a-Mouse back in 1988.. he was quite a showman.

I didn't make a reggae cd mix this summer.. maybe I'll have to do "Fall Reggae '04" or something.. except who's going to want to listen to reggae when it starts to get colder.

-jar

skewiff
08-25-2004, 04:55 AM
I've seen UB40 way back in '79 maybe, I knew a guy (Ron Kite, an aging hippy) who worked in a record shop Graduate records and the owner was a guy called Dave something, anyway he put up the money for the first(and only) UB40 album.

My best recollection of this album is being driven to St. Tropez by a guy I met the night before, in a bar. My friends didn't want to get up that early so I dragged my drunken arse to meet him and this was the cassette we listened to in a VW cabriolet driving along Le Grande Cornise d'Cote d'Azure.

I also saw Jimmy Cliff open for Steve Winwood on his (SW) first tour in forever to promote Back in the Highlife.

Shame on you Jar for no Summer Reggae comp.

Tony