a good subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a good subwoofer

ant 8663
08-23-2004, 01:57 PM
I am looking for a GOOD SUBWOOFER to intergarate into my home theatre/ music system, I have an arcam avr 100, but it does not have the option of playing the subwoofer in two channel mode, I need the sub to be able to hook up in in two channel mode an in lfe mode, or is it possible to just hook the sub up from the speaker line level inputs and just play it with movies and music tht way, but will I be missing out on something when I play movies?

This Guy
08-23-2004, 05:39 PM
We'll start with the basics. What's your budget? Room size? Can the sub be large or do you prefer the tiny ones? Yes you can connect it using the speaker level inputs and you won't miss a thing. Answer these questions and we can start.

-Joey

ant 8663
08-24-2004, 05:21 AM
thanks for the response, my budget is no more than 1200.00, and my room is farely large, size really does not matter, I just want something that sound s good for the money, without being too boomy, but intergrates with my phase technology pc 1.1 bookshelfs really well in music and movies, without some saying ok there the sub is int the corner or wherever it may be, i heard that rel subs intergrate well, and hook both speaker level and rca, if need be I can save a little more for a better sub in a higher price range, but I want to make sure it is worth the money spent

This Guy
08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I think you have enough money. Check out the Paradigm servo 15 subwoofer. You might be able to get a new one for this much, and defiently a used one. Velodyne makes some nice subwoofers in this price range as well. Take a look at the HSU VTF-3, SVS's makes a few subs in this price range as well. Yes REL makes some of the best subs in the world and you should definently check them out. If you wouldn't mind putting together a kit, the Dayton 15" titanic goes for $680 in kit form and will easily compete with subs in this price range, if not beat them. You can find the kit at partsexpress.com . The top on my list would probably be a servo controlled Paradigm or Velodyne. Once you get the sub, buy an SPL meter and make sure it's a little louder than your mains, and get a test disc incase you find any peaks or nulls in your room. If you find you have a huge peak or two in your room you should defiently buy a Parametric EQ to tame them down. The Behringer Feedback Destroyer can be had for $120+40 (spl meter)+20(test disc)= an extra $180 or so to greatly increase your subs performance. You can ask Woochifer along with a few others on this site if you have any more questions about that and if you need help.

-Joey

ant 8663
08-28-2004, 07:36 PM
can anyone give me list of good refeence subs price is no object at this time, I just want some options besides the ones that re available, so far I have my eyes on a rel Q150, or strata, does anyone know of any that re little better than these, that does music as well as movies?

goatspeed
08-28-2004, 10:29 PM
If you can spend 1200, get the SVS PB2+. It's "supposed" to destroy everything up to 3k price range. SVS allows a full money back refund so if it doesn't destroy everything up to 3k, return it np and get a full refund.

ant 8663
08-31-2004, 06:16 AM
Hey I am really considering a rel, and the main reason is because of the hook up options, my arcam avr 100 reciever does not give you the option of playing the sub in two channel stereo without hooking it up to high level inputs, so I need to find a sub that I can hook up either both ways, high level for music and low level for movies, or is ther some other option I can try without losing any information on movies by using just high level hook ups, so please if anyone knows of any other sub, or has some typoe of information to help me, I would apreciate it, becasue maybe then I could with a less expensive sub, with just as much quality as a rell